October 2010

Discussion in 'CT4' started by Skill, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Skill

Skill Member

So how did you guys find this exam?

2. Fermi

Fermi Member

I attempted the questions in order and thought it was going well. However, I got onto questions 11 and 12 and found it difficult to even get started setting up the transition/jump matrices.

As these last two questions were worth 1/3 of the paper, I am uncertain as to whether I will have banked enough marks.

3. gnarly

gnarly Member

CT4 October 2010

I was the same. Couldn't do either of the last 2 questions but found the rest of it okay.

Do you think the pass mark will be low (50% ish)?

4. Fermi

Fermi Member

I believe that above 60% guarantees a pass on CT's. Although CT4 is one of the harder CT's, I would imagine that 50% is the lowest it ever goes - it would be nice if it were this low, but I'm doubtful.

As a number of people will have done ok on questions 1 to 10, I guess that the number of marks gained on questions 11 and 12 will be an important factor in determining a pass or fail grade.

5. gnarly

gnarly Member

How many marks do you think you got on questions 11 and 12?

11 was out of 15
    12 was out of 19

I think I got about 3/15 and 4/19!!!!

6. Fermi

Fermi Member

I think i got around these marks as well for questions 11 and 12.

If this is the case, to achieve 60% overall would require 80% on the remaining questions 1 to 10. Although I think I did well on these earlier questions, 80% is tough!

A bit disappointing that the last two questions weren't split up into more independent parts such that they were not "all or nothing" questions. 34 marks is a lot to write off.

7. gnarly

gnarly Member

Well we will have to wait and see! We may both get about 55% and that might be enough.

Do you know if other people had the same problems?

8. Fermi

Fermi Member

I've spoken to 3 other people who took the exam - all of the same opinion.

My experience is that it's very difficult to predict the outcome of the actuarial exams. However, it's interesting to hear if people had similar problems.

We'll just have to wait and see - good luck!

9. dopeyS

dopeyS Member

I had the same problems

question 11 I may have scraped 5 marks on and question 12 maybe 6 marks on

my questions 7 turned into a right mess as well, got really confused with all that

10. DevonMatthews

DevonMatthews Member

Some parts of Q11 look quite tricky, the only answer i can see for part (iii) is 6/4b and the only way i can see to set up the "new" transition matrix is having something like S={0,1,2,3,4} with the generator a01=a12=a34=a40=b a20=a23=b/2. My final answer for the revised waiting time is 2/b This would be incredibly hard to get out under exam conditions. Any other ideas on how to do this? Ps. i have no idea why they are asking for the jump chain, just makes it more confusing.

11. jollyfakey

jollyfakey Member

Everybody seem to be complaining abt only questions 11 and 12. i have completely forgotten abt the 34 marks and just hoping for the best in the remaining 66marks.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2010