Oct 2009 Exam Discussion

Discussion in 'CT6' started by evergreen, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Falak Soomro

Falak Soomro Member

I recall that the average premium was close to 231 and something with the higher q value. I hope its close enough to the correct answer!

2. Falak Soomro

Falak Soomro Member

I recalled that I used exponential distribution which was given in Tables. Since exponential distribution has memoryless propery it was simplified to taking the integral of exponential distribution from 0 to 30.

But i did made a mistake of specifying the prob of ruin rather than prob of not ruin

3. Falak Soomro

Falak Soomro Member

I agree with both of you. I did got stuck upon various question particularly time series questions, Q1 and Q8, and the question of credibility theory and loss distributions. The question to find the estimated parameters of lognormal distribution using method of percentiles was also tough.

I notice questions were more trickier than last few sittings and moreover were time constrainted

4. evergreen

evergreen Member

What was the value of full premium?

5. LandBli

LandBli Member

I think it was 350

6. Garcia

Garcia Member

I agree, it was somewhere around 350.

7. Garcia

Garcia Member

As far as I know, it depends on the difficulty level of the exam. I suppose pass marks must be close to 60%

8. Garcia

Garcia Member

I used normal approximation however, I would appreciate if someone from Acted comment on the right technique of solving the problem

9. Garcia

Garcia Member

What did you guys do in the last question's last part? I tried to solve the problem twice but I am not confident.

10. evergreen

evergreen Member

I think it stated that the insurer paid the amount of each claim that followed an exponential distribution. In addition to that, 50 had to be paid for each claim above 200.

11. evergreen

evergreen Member

What was the form of "k" in terms of q? Any clue on that? I think I was able to bring the policyholders' distribution in terms of k but then did something wrong with the calculation of average premium stuff. My answer was quite higher as compared to the 178 value of avg premium for low risk policyholders.

the transition matrix was like :

q 1-q 0

q 0 1-q

q2 q(1-q) 1-q

12. evergreen

evergreen Member

The expected value was the product of lambda and expected value of Y.
    Expected value of Y = Expected value of X + 50 (integral of f(x) from 200 to infinity)

13. evergreen

evergreen Member

Any comments on whether to include the incurred claim values while calculating reserve?

14. Avantgarde

Avantgarde Member

I got the answer to part (a) as 1/(1+y)

Could someone please confirm this..!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2009
  15. Avantgarde

Avantgarde Member

I seriously doubt that this question is ambiguous as the given claims were on incurred basis while the paid claims were not given on the other hand..

I just read in one of the older threads that we can write to the institute regarding these kind of ambiguities on Student Consultative Committee but that link is not working..

16. Avantgarde

Avantgarde Member

Could someone please confirm if the probability was coming too high for turning point test..??

17. Garcia

Garcia Member

Mine transition matrix was same as that of yours

18. Garcia

Garcia Member

I applied the same method for E however calculating V was a bit tricky

19. LandBli

LandBli Member

My matrix was the same also. I couldn't get the average premium to equal their value of 178 either - is there anyone that could?!

20. evergreen

evergreen Member

I don't think we were required to confirm the value of that premium for low risk policyholders, nonetheless, it would have verified the preceding calculations. What was the expression for "k" any idea? I think it was something like :

1/(1-q+2q2-q3)

21. Garcia

Garcia Member