Oct 2007

Discussion in 'SP2' started by pig, Oct 5, 2007.

1. pig

pig Member

What do people think about this one?

2. alskling

alskling Member

I thought it was ok, probably easier than April - not sure if that's a good or bad thing!

The last question was a bit of a b^tch - couldn't see how we were supposed to generate 17 marks worth of points.

What did you think yourself?

3. pig

pig Member

I think the paper has lots of bookwork and two questions on models (compare with two questions on risks in the April paper)!!! Seems to me the examiner only looks at a small number of chapters when they set their questions!

I thought the paper was generally ok but I don't think I have scored enough marks... :(

Q1) bookwork (modelling question on investment strategy)
    Q2) part i is bookwork, part ii I don't think I have generated enough points
    Q3) bookwork again but struggle to generate 9 marks' worth for part ii
    Q4) was a bit surprised by the numerical question but the technicality wasn't too difficult (at least compare with the old 105)
    Q5) another modelling question!
    Q6) the hardest of all questions. I was struggling to generate 17 x 2 points... I doubt i have more than 10 valid points... I was also finding it difficult to use all the information in the question...
    :confused:

4. Sauny Bean

Sauny Bean Member

Thought Q2-5 were generally okay, though the deterministic model (Q5ii) might be a bit subjective.

Q1 - remembered the bookwork on the way home.
    Q6 - knew the reserving principles but applying them to this question?

So overall, not hopeful. There'll be enough candidates that could understand what was going on in Q6 to rule me out of this one.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2007
  5. Sauny Bean

Sauny Bean Member

That bit of French really through me last time in Q6 ... "Group Consultatitif des Associations d'Actuaires des Pays des Communautes Europeenes" ... When it appeared again in the 08 Mock I had another look at the core reading ... and there it is ...just the people who came up with the reserving assumptions.