Notes on CT1

Discussion in 'CT1' started by Dimitri, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Dimitri

Dimitri Member

Hi Guys,

Ive just started studying for CT1 using some downloaded Actuarial Mathematics notes from various university websites and those websites themselves claim that the course is aimed at covering CT1. That made me wonder, is there course notes that are available freely online for CT2 and CT3 aswell.

And if anyone has any notes, then let me know, if not, i welcome any comments. :D

Dimitri

2. bystander

bystander Member

I'd say you are playing Russian Roulette trying to cover material this way. The exams are based around our syllabus and each university has its take on that and questions can be a different style to those set by the Profession.

I'd say use cautiously and its no substitute to ActEd stuff geared to prepare people for the professions exams.

3. Dimitri

Dimitri Member

The issue is im not entirely sure if im cut out for it so wanted to study independently (and therefore cheaply) for CT1, and depending on the result, make a decision as to whether I would want to commit to it.

4. bystander

bystander Member

Well I'd say make sure you do use the past papers on the actuaries website when you think you have finished the course.

If you pass well that's great, but unless you've used official material then I suggest a near fail isn't a test of whether you can 'cut it' as it may be you missed some part of the syllabus.

Couple of other things make sure you don't fall fowl of copyright and get yourself a copy of the formuale and tables that you get in the exam. You also mentioned CT2 and CT3. You won't be able to sit that unless you are a member of the Profession.

5. Dimitri

Dimitri Member

I may very well just get the materials for CT1 and CT3, do you think preparation for both these exams can be done in time for September?

6. bystander

bystander Member

Depends on how hard you are prepared to work. Its a relatively short sitting. Starting now gives you roughly 3 months allowing for a bit of holiday/sport enjoyment or other Olympic distractions for example.

Some people never start studying til after exam results ie in July.

So you will have to consider your own circumstances in makingthis decision, but ts not impossible.