Non-September intakes

Discussion in 'Careers' started by jrpfinch, Sep 4, 2008.

1. jrpfinch

jrpfinch Member

Hi

I am considering a career change from IT to being an Actuary. As I work for a small company, a considerable portion of my salary comes as bonus/profit share at calendar year end. Admittedly if you compare this to a lifetime's salary, my bonus is a drop in the ocean. However, I would be interested to know if there are any London-based Actuarial firms that take people on in March/April as well as the usual September/October intake, as this would be the optimal time for me to start.

Many thanks

Jon

2. Meldemon

Meldemon Member

My advice would be to speak to an actuarial recruitment firm - they will be able to point you towards companies that do take in graduates at different times during the year. Try the Actuary magazine (www.the-actuary.org.uk) for contact details.

And if you get the interview - be greatful that you don't have to sit through one of the graduate recruitment days and compete with hundreds of graduates for a few select positions!

Good luck!
    :D

3. bystander

bystander Member

Firms are always on the look-out for people that fit their bill. Some new people could leave anytime realising they've made a huge mistake. OK not often but you can't rule it out.

Also, remember many people look for jobs after graduation so there is already a 'non-Sep' market out there.

Just give it a whirl & I agree agencies can be a good way forward but if there is a co you are really keen on, sometimes the direct approach impresses.

Happy hunting!