Nominal Interest convertible pthyly

Discussion in 'CT1' started by Neha Maheshwari, Jun 30, 2016.

1. In section 3.1 how does I (p)/P becomes amount for each interest payment and how does the accumulated value at each time becomes equal to I?

I don't understand the first equation derived .

2. shdh

shdh Ton up Member

Could you please give the chapter number to which you are referring?

Warm regards
    Shyam

3. shdh

shdh Ton up Member

If i(p) is the nominal rate of interest payable pthly, then i(p)/p shall be effective rate of interest for the pth period. Accordingly, i(p)/p becomes the amount of each interest payment.
    Refer to page 2 of the chapter, last paragraph, starting with 'Essentially'. It might clarify the idea.

Regards,
    Shyam

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  4. Can you please explain the equation that follows ?

Any one term would do.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2016
  5. shdh

shdh Ton up Member

I, myself am getting a bit confused on the equation as to why (1+i)^[(p-1)/p] (and hence further ones) has been multiplied to each term. I guess it has been done so because the statement above it states that the accumulated value of the interest payments at time 1 would be...so and so....

The accumulated value of the p interest payments, each of amount i(p)/p , is equal to i.
    (i being the annual effective ROI, and i(p)/p being the nominal ROI payable pthly)

Then, the resulting series on the LHS is a geometric progression (hope you understand it), which has been summed using the GP summation formula, a*(1-r^n)/(1-r), if r< or = 1; where a is the first term, r is the common multiple and n is the number of terms.

Solving further, we finally get the formula for arriving at nominal rate of interest, if effective rate of interest is given.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
    Shyam

6. I understood the calculations after that i am only having a hard time understanding how that equation is formed in the first place.

Are derivations asked in CT 1 exam ?

7. shdh

shdh Ton up Member

This doubt can be clarified by asking some tutor for the same.

Regards,
    Shyam

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  8. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

They're just accumulating all the interest payments until the end of the year so we can compare it with an annual rate.

For the IFoA derivations are asked - but have been limited to Chapter 7, 14 and 15.

9. shdh

shdh Ton up Member

Thank you sir for stating the chapters to which the derivations are limited to.

Regards,
    Shyam