No flashcards/sound revision for SA4?

Discussion in 'SA4' started by oofafoo, Feb 27, 2012.

1. oofafoo

oofafoo Member

Dear ActEd tutors (and anyone else who might be able to help!),

I've finally finished the SA4 notes and am starting my revision. I went onto the ActEd online store to order my revision materials, and to my dismay I found that there aren't any flashcards or sound revision for this subject!

Though I haven't really done any exam questions yet, from the notes it seems that the SA subjects are quite a bit different to the prior subjects so I'm guessing this is the reason there aren't any flashcards/sound revision/revision notes etc? I only ask because the flashcards especially have really helped me with all the other subjects.

Perhaps this means I'll have to change my revision approach a bit... which leads me to another question, how does SA4 differ from ST4? The approach that's worked for me in the past is (i) memorise the core reading via flashcards (very boring but was effective!) (ii) get my idea generation techniques sorted (chapter headings, loads of acronyms, interested parties checklists etc) and (iii) practice lots of past papers via ASET. Does this sound like a reasonable approach for SA4? Learning the core reading will be a lot harder without my beloved flashcards!

Thanks all
    Sam

2. Flashcards

Hi Sam,

Yes, it's true that there are no flashcards/revision booklets for SA4 (or indeed any of the "SA" level series exams).

You are right - you have listed (in my opinion) the three most important things that you need to do between now and the exam - build knowledge of Core Reading, develop technique and do past papers.

I would add another to the list - reading around the subject. You could look at the recommended reading list (this list is contained within the SA4 Core Reading), particularly the more recent documents on that list.

It would also be worth looking at the Topical Issues document (see the "sticky" in this SA4 subject discussions part of the forum).

Though don't get carried away - most of the marks available in the SA4 exam will be earned by your ability to apply the Core Reading to the situation given - which is why the three activities you suggest should be your priority again for SA4.

Hope this helps,

Best wishes
    Stuart Underwood