New Fail Grades for April 2010

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by actuaryre, Jan 7, 2010.

1. actuaryre

actuaryre Member

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2013
  2. Meldemon

Meldemon Member

Expect greater disappointment if you don't pass... If a paper has a pass mark of 50%, an actual final mark of 37% would now result in FD where it would have been FB in the past.

3. Amarantha

Amarantha Member

..and if you get betweeb 85% and 86% of the pass mark, you get both an FB and an FC! :p

4. didster

didster Member

Indeed. Not only will FB, FC translate to a new FD, but FA now means you really missed it by just one mark possibly two.
    A bitter pill to swallow.

5. Busy_Bee4422

Busy_Bee4422 Ton up Member

Does anyone know what might have motivated this change? I simply can't see how this adds value.

6. JeanOlivier

JeanOlivier Member

Exactly. Even if you fail by 1 mark, you still need to rewrite the exam and learn the whole stuff again.By the way, does anyone know when the examiner's reports will be out for the September 2009 session? The website says January 2010. This could mean 31st January as well..

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2010
  7. bystander

bystander Member

I agree it doesn't add much. Far better to get feedback on individual questions but I guess thats too much admin. Its been many years since they did it and back then waited longer for results.

The biggest upset could be for those whose employers look closely at actual grades of failure to decide on offering additional ad hoc support that they don't guarantee.

Guess the message is still do all you can to PASS.

8. Amarantha

Amarantha Member

Based on a 60 marks to pass:
    FA = 57+
    FB = 51 - 56.99
    FC = 45 - 50.999
    FD = less than 45

For where I work, the number of days' study leave for a resit is determined by the fail grade. I.e. you don't get any study days for a resit if you get an FC or FD. This will have a marked effect on study days granted for resits.

9. fiend

fiend Member

Just don't fail. It is a good strategy for qualifying :)

10. didster

didster Member

Lol. Easier said than done.
    Hopefully third time's the charm with SA4 and that's it for me.

11. Surely it's reasonable to expect employers to re-scale their study day allowances in line with this change? I expect you will have to point out the change to them though - I didn't know anything about it until I read this thread.

12. Muppet

Muppet Member

They're trying to provide more useful info. Apparently, using the old system, a very high proportion of the fails fell in FA. They're trying to spread the fails out across the four bands. So you'll now now that you're really close rather than just close :).

13. mattt78

mattt78 Member

new fail grades

So they've moved from an absolute scale to a relative scale. Sort of.
    (FA is now within 5% of the pass mark, rather than within 5% (of 100%) etc)

Even getting a good fail is harder these days.

I shall count myself lucky to get those three FAs I've already got under my belt then.

14. MindFull

MindFull Ton up Member

Hey... wouldn't for eg. 49/60 = 81.667% be a part of the FB band?

Oh it seems they may have revised the bands... In the student handbook, FB is 85-94%, but on the website, it's 80-94%.

Hmm.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010