new comer

Discussion in 'CT1' started by act_treasure, Aug 1, 2006.

1. act_treasure

act_treasure Member

Hi all,

I have recently joined as student and i am planning to write CT1 as my first paper in april-2007. I am having a recent material-2006 to study. But few queries.

1. Is this a practical or theory paper.
    2. Is the material i am having will be enough or will change after sep-2006 exam.
    3. Is the study material is enough to sit in the exam.

Please help me out with my queries.

Thanks

2. Fiasco

Fiasco Member

1. I would say it's theoretical on the basis that you do not need much practical experience to pass the exam.

2. If there is change in syllabus, then the study material will change. But I do not think the changes (if any) will be major. If the material changes just get a free update from the ActEd website.

3. The study material is NOT enough by itself. You will need to attempt as many past papers as you can to have a reasonable chance of passing.

3. act_treasure

act_treasure Member

Thanks,

How many papers we can attempt in CT series simultaneously and in what combination.

4. If you really wanted to, you could do all of them, but I think that would be ill-advised. Some papers rely on material from other papers so you would tend to try and do those in consecutive sittings rather than simultaneously.

Sometimes less can be more, better to take 2 and pass them both than take 3 and FA them all... :confused:

5. act_treasure

act_treasure Member

Thank you,

Is it ok to take CT1,CT2 for one session.

6. Dha

Dha Member

There's a slight overlap between CT1 & CT2, but neither require any prerequsite knowledge, so it'd be fine to take both in one go.

7. Erik

Erik Member

The key to passing CT1 is practice, practice, practice. (It is a practical type of subject in the sense that the largest part of the paper will consist of numerical problems and a small part will be bookwork (theory).)

Good luck.

8. act_treasure

act_treasure Member

derivation & integrations.

hi all,

here i am having a query , while going through the study material i came across lot of integration & functions in 3rd chapter. Is we have all the derivation to be solved or the end result is enough for the exams.

Is actuarial table book is available at site, i didn't receive it with my CMP.

please help.

Regards..

9. Muppet

Muppet Member

You need to buy a copy of the Tables (actuarial book) from the Profession (Napier House, Oxford) or perhaps your local profession if you're not in the UK.

Yes you need to be able to integrate to take these exams. Some of the results can be found in the Tables, but you could be asked to derive some in the exam. More importantly, you might need integration on continuous interest rate questions.

But it becomes more important in CT3, 4, 5, 6, 8.

10. act_treasure

act_treasure Member

hi all,

I am confused as which model of calculator to purchase. Can someone please suggest.

By the way any restrictions on any models during the exams.

11. Dha

Dha Member

The information is on the Institute's website re calculators. Any basic model will do.

12. Erik

Erik Member

I've used the HP10B. It is kinda the standard here. A very good financial calculator for finding PV's, annuity certain etc...

13. bystander

bystander Member

The full regulations are on the actuarial website and sent with permits.
    But the basics are silent, no graphic capability and not programmable OR programmable but you've deleted the code. There's been loads of previous discussion on the topic somewhere on the site but can't remember where (sorry).

But whichever you choose, don't start using it for the first time on exam day. All the models seem to have an annoying habit of moving buttons around. Time is precious enough without having to rework your answers.

If you've already got one that fits the regs, I'd stick with that.

14. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Calculators

Hi there folks!

The most beautiful calculator is the Casio FX991ES (£15 from Argos) as it does normal probabilities. It also solves quadratics and simultaneous equations. But the real beauty is it can solve those annoying CT1 trial and improvement questions.

There is the financial calculators that do the annuities (and solve them too) - can't remember the make - think it's texas. But they are a pain to do 'normal' calculations on - so if using one - I would suggest to take another calculator in as well!

15. hi5

hi5 Member

Thanks for the tip.

But why do you not recommend graphical calculators? Are they useful or just a false hope of being useful?

16. Because you are not allowed them in the exams.