Need help on picking next CT subjects!

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by chfoong, May 1, 2009.

1. chfoong

chfoong Member

Hello all, I am having a dilemma choosing my next 2 CT subjects to study. I have done CT1,3,7. I was thinking of choosing any CTs which are better for me in career wise(I don't have any working experience in actuarial field and looking for one at the moment.)

I need to choose between CT2,4,5,6,8. I would say the CT2 and CT8 are rather easier than others under my impression. So maybe I should choose 1 from the easier batch CT2,8 and 1 from the harder batch CT4,5,6 for my coming september exams. I need some advises please! Thanks a lot!

2. MissAussie

MissAussie Member

I thought 4 and 5 went pretty well together. (just sat these 2) There's a bit of overlap with survival models; constant force of mortality and uniform distribution of deaths etc.

3. MissAussie

MissAussie Member

Just had a 2nd thought, are you working right now? I did 1, 3, 7 too, but then I did CT6 because I was working in GI.

4. Pilate

Pilate Member

Obviously there's a degree of subjectivity here, but I have to say that I thought it was the general impression of most people, (and it's certainly mine), that CT8 is probably the hardest of all the CT modules, along with CT4, not the easiest.

So if you're thinking of doing one easy and one hard, I think you could do worse than picking CT2 as you're 'easier' course, (probably the easiest CT due to its structure), and picking 4 or 8 as your 'harder' one.

This is clearly down to personal preference though. As mentioned above, CT6 is GI focussed, whereas CT5 gives the main background to life insurance, so that's worth thinking about.

5. mattt78

mattt78 Member

CT exam choice

CT2 is the only easy one you have left, so if you want one easy and one hard, I'd say you have to pick CT2.

Personally I think CT8 isn't too bad - its a bit tricky, but there didn't seem to be a huge amount to learn.

I agree CT4 and CT5 go together, but they're both relatively tough exams with quite a lot to learn.

I can't comment on CT6, but I believe it mostly stats, so I'd assume it would suit you if you found CT3 relatively easy, and be useful if you work in GI.

6. chfoong

chfoong Member

Thanks guys for all the advises. I really appreciate them. I think I will go for CT5 to pick up some basic knowledge for CT4. I've changed my mind to taking only 1 CT this time due to the uncertain CT3 result coming out this July.

To MissAussie, I had been full time self-studying CTs since last April and I think this is time to start looking for a real job. I am not sure what I can get with my bachelor in Mathematics and 3 CTs. I have been searching through Seek and various websites, only found few jobs being advertised and most of them required high level of experience which I lack of. I heard most of the actuarial employers recruit through University job fair, unfortunately I don't have access to any universities in melbourne.(I finished my uni in adelaide)

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2009
  7. MissAussie

MissAussie Member

Hi chfoong,

unfortunately now is not a good time to be looking for a job in the actuarial market. I know that my employer is not offering any positions :( Hang in there, keep studying those CT's and you should be able to get somewhere.

8. chfoong

chfoong Member

I have received my CT5 study material and shocked by the very chapter 1! It seems like it needed some knowledge from CT4! I done my CT1,3,7 and jump straight into CT5. Is doing this a good idea or just a suicide act? Can anyone who had a similar situation as me give some advises on this? Do I need to do CT4 and 5 together? Or the xPt and xqt are the only basic CT4 knowledge I need to know? Are there any more nasty CT4 surprises waiting in the later chapters? Thank you for all your time!

9. mattt78

mattt78 Member

CT5 required knowledge

I did CT5 before doing CT4, and it wasn't a problem.

There is some overlap between the two, (markov processes and contingent assurances maybe) but I don't think its a case of CT5 following on from CT4, so I think its fine to do CT5 first.

That said, CT4 and CT5 are probably a good pair to study together (although both relatively tough)