myth or fact

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by theactuary2010, Feb 12, 2008.

1. is it a myth or a fact that april exams are more challenging than september exams? :D :eek: :eek: :confused:

2. examstudent

examstudent Member

i think a comparison of pass rates april vs september would help here...

3. MindFull

MindFull Ton up Member

Hope not

I'd hope that April exams aren't challening...this is my first time taking an exam in april plus my first time taking 2, CT2 and the monster of the light, CT4.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Just checked for CT4
    Sep 07: 27%
    Apr 07: 34%
    Sep 06: 41%
    Apr 06: 51%

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  4. bystander

bystander Member

I'd say myth.

When you get to later exams that at one stage where once a year maybe you could argue the pass rate in Sep should be up because people could be resitting and so have more knowledge? Controversial I know.

But the thing is, if you are fully prepared you should relish a challenging paper because you feel more able to cope.

Give it your best shot, whatever!

5. What you have here is a trend of decline in the pass rates for CT4, not a pattern differentiating September from April.

Doesn't matter anyone - on a "difficult" paper you have more opportunity to show how much better you are than anyone else. It's an "easy" paper you need to watch out for because everyone will know the answers.

6. Doubt it - perhaps back when the resits were actually resits. Now most people view each session as a new exam, I'd say equal chance of sitting a paper for the first time in either april or sept?

7. bystander

bystander Member

As I said, my comment was a controversial one but some employers do push people towards one sitting and lots of papers. I don't reckon many CA1 people for example start in May and sit Sep for instance. You could say start studying Oct for next Sep I guess.

Anyhow, it doesn't matter so long as you've been well prepared it should make no odds to chance of success

8. Actuary

Actuary Member

I think the percentage passing out of those who turn up can be a misleading indicator. For example this includes people who leave after half an hour. They couldn't possibly have prepared for the exam and are skewing this statistic.

As the institute do not release pass rate information no inferences of easy or hard exams can be made. The key point to rememeber is if you demonstrate a high enough level of performance in the exam you will pass, regardless of everyone else.

Whether the institute decides this level based on performance of all the candidates is debatable but they will aim to keep it consistent across all sittings.

Thorough preparation will in the end result in a pass so just get on with that..

9. Niel

Niel Member

Does it really matter whether April exams are more challenging?

For example, if that was the case, would you consider not writing? That is basically as good as failing (ignoring the psycological impact).

If it is not the case, would you study less for the exam? Not a good idea either.

So just give it your best, do as many questions as you can, and hope for the best.