Multiple Monitors

Discussion in 'Careers' started by mike214, Jul 7, 2011.

1. mike214

mike214 Member

Hi,

My employer is considering introducing going to 2 or 3 monitors for each of our computers to help productivity - please can you advise if any of you use multiple monitors in your workplace and if so, how beneficial you think they are.

Thanks!

2. Copen

Copen Member

I have a laptop (with stand) and a fixed larger monitor side by side. Obviously the laptop is good for trips.

2 monitors is useful: to work on one monitor whilst refering to or typing up an email as I go along on the other monitor, or to work in two spreadsheets / models simultaneously.

e.g.
    copy data from one excel spreadsheet to another
    compare previous version / current version
    1 scenario vs another
    working with linked spreadsheets

Would definitely recommend 2 as I think I work faster, but it depends on the type of work you do. Only seen people with 3 monitors in banks

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2011
  3. Calum

Calum Member

Put it this way. A flat screen monitor, if you buy one for everyone in your office, is on the order of £120. An actuary is getting paid £30k+ at minimum.

120/30000 = 0.4%

The question, then, is will a second monitor increase your productivity by more than 0.4%? This depends, of course, on your workload and so on, but studies have shown that increases of 20-30% in productivity are quite normal.

If there's any dispute about it, run a pilot with a few people and then see if you can take the monitors back off them....

4. mike214

mike214 Member

Thanks for your help guys.

I figured I would get answers like this and I agree that they are likely to be very cost effective but there is quite a resistance to the idea unfortunately (my managers don't see how they will be beneficial) so I will try to push for a trial ;)

5. Calum

Calum Member

6. mattt78

mattt78 Member

multiscreen

if it increases you're productivity by more than 20% i'd have thought you must have been doing something seriously inefficient beforehand!

i'm definitely a fan of having 2 screens though - if you're likely to be working with more than a couple of files/applications most of the time, or running models on remote machines etc, they'll definietly be a help.