Move from Pensions to Life insurance

Discussion in 'Careers' started by Lifestooshort, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Lifestooshort

Lifestooshort Member

Hi,

I am interested in moving from pensions consulting work to in house life insurance work. My current position is comfortable (although not stimulating!) and I enjoy the more technical aspects of my job. As I progress in consulting, I find my self doing less technical work and more "consulting", and so think a move to insurance would be for me.

I have worked in pensions for 4 years and have recently qualified.

I have been thinking about making the move for some time now, but have been apprehensive in case life insurance isnt everything that I hope/think it will be.

I have spent time researching issues such as S2, EU Gender Directive, and often read the news section of the actuary. Although this all seems interesting and appealing, I'm worried that it doesn't really give me an insight into the day-to-day tasks of a life insurance actuary.

Could anyone share any insight or resources to help me understand what work I would be doing were I to move to a life insurer (I appreciate this will differ greatly depending on what section I move into!).

Many thanks!

2. bystander

bystander Member

Generally speaking, you won't be involved with outside clients in an insurance company but there can be equally more meetings to go to.

I think whats happening to you isn't a function of being in pensions, more its the progress you have made in your career that makes you less hands on. For example as you progress with insurance offices, quite often they expect a move towards management and overseeing rather than deep technical stuff.

Maybe a reporting actuary role may suit you so you get to do some modelling.

It is easiest to make a switch before you qualify but its not impossible. Certainly background reading helps and then its down to perseverance if you really do want to change. Lets face it, there's plenty of SII work to do if that interests you,a nd a co is prepared to train you up.