Move from Life to GI

Discussion in 'Careers' started by DesignWarrior, Nov 7, 2013.

1. DesignWarrior

DesignWarrior Member

Does this happen often?
    I've always been interested in GI, but I'm in life, so I was wondering what are the pitfalls and what are the prospects.

Can people share their experiences please?

2. td290

td290 Member

Why not check out this thread: http://www.acted.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=8220

Although it's title would suggest it's mostly about moving from GI to Life there's some helpful generic advice about moving between areas as well as some interesting theories on the subject from mpyan1!

By the way, I believe my current Head of Capital Modelling moved to the role from a job in Life (I work in GI) so it can certainly be done with some success. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2013
  3. Hacktuary85

Hacktuary85 Member

hahahaha The labour market is corrupted! we're all victims of the fallacy of the actuarial practice areas. There's no such thing!! hehe

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2013
  4. DesignWarrior

DesignWarrior Member

The inspiration for this thread was that other one.
    I figured that I might as well start a different topic to get the relevant responses.

5. mpyan1

mpyan1 Member

Right now quite a few will want to move to GI as there are more jobs going and slightly better pay.

The companies know these are the real motivations. This won't stop people claiming in interviews it's nothing to do with that but a lifelong fascination and longing to work in GI.

Clearly companies want capitalism for themselves - more business & more income, but demand that individuals must pretend their interest are beyond these things?

6. DesignWarrior

DesignWarrior Member

So what's been your experience in trying to move from Life to GI?

7. DesignWarrior

DesignWarrior Member

Thanks -I'll keep that in mind for the future.

I think I'd better stay put in Life for now cos apparently there are loads of people pretending that they want to do GI cos there are better prospects AND the companies know that us life guys are playing this game.

8. mpyan1

mpyan1 Member

Some may take on those with a Life background, however the companies and recruiters will know there's not much going in Life at the moment so will see the Life people as more desperate hence willing to accept poorer deals in GI. That is what I'm seeing.

I'd be interested in people's answer to the question "So, why do you want to move from Life to GI?"

9. mpyan1

mpyan1 Member

I'll assume that's not sarcasm for the moment, why don't you put your CV out there and see what response you get? Always demand feedback.

10. DesignWarrior

DesignWarrior Member

I think that there will always be difficulty finding a job that you may not necessarily have the skills for.

Go back to your thoughts when you were looking for your first job out of uni.

It’s probably true that whatever you said would have sounded like bovinefaeces because the vast majority of graduates looking for a job would have had no experience in the role that they were applying for.
    So, with the exception of those that had work experience in the relevant field, most answers to “why do you want to do this,” would be along similar lines, revolving around having an interest in it, thinking that you might be able to contribute, thinking that you can do well in the job etc etc etc.

You didn’t have to say “I’m desperate and I want a job – any job” – this was understood, and didn’t need saying.

In an analogous way to what you think GI recruiters are thinking about you, those same graduate recruiters who gave you your first job KNEW that your primary task was to secure the role.

I think their next thoughts would revolve around whether or not you were really suitable for the company, and, just like competing with former interns when you were applying for a grad role, those with relevant experience would probably be viewed more favourably – as expected.

I think that you’re coming from the point of view that there are candidates out there that have to apply for GI roles cos they can’t get Life ones.
    I’m not sure if this is the case or not – perhaps you can elaborate.
    I’m coming from a less cynical angle.

11. mpyan1

mpyan1 Member

Design Warrior: It seems you have much faith in recruitment processes, hiring managers and HR. Whatever faith I had has diminished over time. On the whole, I have not observed a meritocracy.

For some candidates applying for some jobs, they want you to have done the job before to the finest detail and prove you were an amazing success.

Other people can get jobs without having done the job before, it seems for them 'relevant experience' is not a criteria. Logically, anyone climbing a ladder has not worked at that new level previously.

Others get a job after doing the job before and failing in a huge way. For them it seems actual success is not a criteria. What probably impresses is the way they spin a total failure into a total success. That's what large organisations like.

12. mpyan1

mpyan1 Member

Get your CV's to companies and recruiters. Talk to them on the phone. See how far your applications go. Get back to us.