mortality fluctuation reserve

Discussion in 'SP2' started by claire3000006, Sep 21, 2011.

1. claire3000006

claire3000006 Member

In the acted notes (p13/14 of chapter 26) the following process is described:

1. net loss from claims is x = [C(g) - C(r)] - [P(g) - P(r)]
    where C(g) is gross claims, C(r) is claims recovered from reinsurer, P(g) is gross premiums received, P(r) is premiums paid to reinsurer

2. cost of mortality fluctuation reserve of size M is M(j-i) where i is expected return from assets that back reserve, j is shareholders' required return

3. if 60% of the reinsurance premiums are used to cover reserve then size of reserve is M = 30P(r) (assuming i=7%, j=9%)

4. net loss is nowX = [C(g) - C'(r)] - [P(g) - P(r)] -M
    where C'(r) is claims recovered from reinsurer under new arrangement

my question: why is is still P(r) and not 0.4P(r)? is this just an act ed mistake or is there something i don't understand? surely if you're using that 0.6P(r) to pay for a mortality fluctuation reserve instead then you're no longer paying for the reinsurance as well...?

2. Mike Lewry

Mike Lewry Member

The clue is in the italics sentence at the top of page 14: "we have exchanged reinsurance for a MFR, at parity of cost"

We're still using up all of P(r). A cost of 0.4P(r) gets us claim recoveries of C'(r) and a cost of 0.6P(r) gets us a MFR of M.

So you could write the net loss as:

X=[C(g)-C'(r)-M]-[P(g)-0.4P(r)-0.6P(r)]

which is the same as in the Notes.

3. claire3000006

claire3000006 Member

ah of course, get it now thanks