1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Module 30 - Capital Management

Discussion in 'SP9' started by Viki2010, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

The summary sheet for the module classifies the capital as:
    - working
    - development
    - risk (economic)

I am slightly confused here when referencing against SA2 classification. We had working and required capital. I have never heard of development capital and was unable to find more information on this in the module itself.

Can you please clarify what the summary sheet is meant to cover under the "development capital"?

Thanks!

2. Simon James

Simon James ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi

There is a brief mention of development capital in Module 13 (and an even briefer reminder in the summary to Module 30)

A business holds capital to:
    ‒ manage its cashflow (working capital)
    ‒ facilitate growth / new ventures (development capital)
    ‒ to cover unexpected losses arising from exposure to risk (risk capital).

3. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

Thank you Simon. Is this classification in sweeting, lam or ioa notes as well?

4. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

Hi, further question on module 30. Solution 30.13 mentions some practical problems as a limitation of calculating the Economic Cost of Ruin. What are the problems that are meant to apply here?

5. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

Hi, i bump up the question.....

6. ALEX_AK

ALEX_AK Member

Hello, I thought the practical problem refers to the difficulty of calculating the expected loss to key stakeholders such as policyholders, depositors and also bondholders (where the insurer or bank raised capital through issuing debt).

In a situation of ruin, policyholders could be paid a value ($X) based on asset share or GPV reserve. And the policyholder can use this money ($X) to buy another insurance policy from another insurer to get the insurance coverage that was loss. So the expected loss to the policyholder is the difference between the total premium of the new policy ($Y) and the payout ($X) from the insurer in ruin. This should be the true expected loss from the PH perspective.

However, when the company is calculating Economic cost of ruin, it will be hard to assess how much will be the total premium of the new policy ($Y). Also, the assumption of the PH being able to find a right product to cover the remaining policy term may not be valid.

This is what I thought can be the practical problems. Please correct me if I am wrong.

7. Simon James

Simon James ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Let's take your example. How do you determine what X should be? How do you calculate the asset share? What will be the cost Y of a comparable insurance policy? So, you are correct that theoretically we are saying "what is the real loss that a PH would suffer" (ie cost of reinstating them back to their original state) - but calculating it in practice is far from simple.

8. ALEX_AK

ALEX_AK Member

Thanks a lot for the clarifications. :)