Modelling - CA2

Discussion in 'CA2' started by LouiseF, Oct 12, 2005.

1. LouiseF

LouiseF Member

I was just wondering if there were any students out there who've signed up for the Modelling courses. What sort of study/practice are you doing?

Also, is the Institute is going to publish the course questions/assignments as each course is run (with sample solutions?) so that we can see what's necessary??

There isn't a course planned here (Dublin!!) until Feb but I guess we'll have access to the questions from the UK courses.

2. Spock

Spock Member

Hi Louise,

I have signed up for the December course in Oxford. There are 4 practice assignments we are supposed to do before the actual 2 day course which I think you can download from the Institute website. Then there is an assignment to complete and submit before attending the course. I don't think past assignments with solutions from the actual course will be released by the Institute because they are already giving practice ones. ActEd has released a set of CA2 notes which might be useful. Can't say I have looked at them yet.

Hope that helps
    Geetha ;)

3. claire

claire Member

I'm doing the November course in Edinburgh. I've got the ActEd notes but I also haven't opened them yet.

We got sent our pre-course assignment this morning. Apparently we're not allowed to discuss it with anyone other than during Day 1 of the course. Not entirely sure how that works :confused:

4. Angela

Angela Member

You won't get to see any of the past assignments or solutions from the previous courses as the institute take back all of the assignments that you have worked on (including the pre-course assignment) at the end of the second day, and you're not allowed to discuss them with anyone else.

5. LouiseF

LouiseF Member

Modelling - Easy or Hard

Hi Guys

Claire, I was just wondering how your modelling course went? Was it v difficult or straightforward. There doesn't seem to be any feedback on the institute website. Usually I like to read the examiners reports on exams before I sit them. I know that Angela said that we're not allowed to discuss the actual projects, but I was wondering if you could give us a run down of the day -
    how helpful was day one?
    was it well run?
    did you find it easy? i
    s it going to live up to the promise "almost 100% pass rate"?

Thanks
    Louise

6. claire

claire Member

Starting your queries from the bottom, I don't know what the pass rate is like since our results aren't out yet but I'm guessing it is going to be high. Unless I totally mis-read the instructions I reckon I should pass - it really was pretty straightforward - and I'm going to come in for some serious stick at work if I don't!

The actuarial content was something very easy from the CT exams and I used nothing more complex in Excel than basic arithmetic, an IF statement and a few Goal Seeks.

Day one was pretty relaxed, you spend quite a bit of time going over the assignment you've done in advance and then do another practice as a team effort. Even after taking the time to check and double check my results and pick nice colours for my slides i still finished the exam day with 2 hours to spare so I certainly didn't think there was any time pressure.

Overall I'd describe the course as a harmless waste of time. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it :)

Hope this helps. I'll be back on here eating lots of humble pie on Monday morning if I find a Fail results letter when I get home tonight!!

If you've any more queries I'm allowed to answer (we had to sign a confidentiality document as we left!) let me know.