Medical knowledge in SP1 Health Insurance

Discussion in 'SP1' started by Trevor, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Trevor

Trevor Ton up Member

Hi,

I've been doing SP1 past papers and noticed my medical knowledge have sometimes led me to different conclusion than the past paper solutions.
    This is the fact that I have formal medical education, and then I applied some medical facts to the actuarial SP1 exam.

For example, I know for a fact that people who are HIV/AIDS positive tend to live longer than those without.
    Although with their compromised immune system, they tend to look after themselves even better than before, hence lower mortality rates.

Looking at the 2017 September Q6 solution however, it is implying that people who have AIDS, will lapse their CI policy because they will die before diagnosis. Hence increasing claim costs and reserves
    When I attempted this, I applied the medical knowledge above. So I said instead, those who have AIDS will live longer, and then explain in one sentence why (as above). Hence lower claim costs and lower reserves.

How will the examiners treat this answer, will it be considered a correct answer to earn mark even though my conclusion is the opposite, using an alternative argument?

Also, I would like to know what does "treatment" means in a PMI policy?
    Does treatment mean actually doing a surgical process to recover from a sickness, or taking medications without curing it counts as treatment?
    It may lead to different conclusions:
    1. There is no cure to HIV/AIDS, however medications may be able to reduce the impact of the virus.
    2. There is no cure to Alzheimer's disease, drugs are available but usually doesn't have any impact, or at least there is no credible data to prove this (based on personal caretaking experience).

Based on the above 2 medical facts, I would say PMI does not cover AIDS or Alzheimer, because there is no way to cure it. Assuming "treatment" means curing it. However a solution may imply "treatment" isn't necessarily curing it, therefore it is covered.

Can I know if opposite conclusion following an argument like that is acceptable?

2. newkid

newkid Ton up Member

Can't really answer the question, however if you believe something to be true, that the notes may say differently - you could always include a reference to a website stating your claims. Given that an examiner marking the script probably won't have the medical knowledge you have etc.

3. Mark Willder

Mark Willder ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Trevor

I'm afraid I don't think the examiners would agree that being HIV positive improves your life expectancy. In fairness, some HIV/AIDS questions now feel quite dated, but if we go back to the time when AIDS was first being discussed it certainly led to much higher death rates.

Treatment does not necessarily need to cure a disease. We would normally consider PMI to cover acute conditions, where treatments could cure. But whether other treatments were covered by a contract would depend on its exact wording.

In general, it's better to cover different possibilities, than covering only one possibility in detail, as there is a danger that you might not get any marks. So I would certainly want to cover the possibility that AIDS/HIV increases mortality as we cannot rely on the policyholder taking much greater care of their health than others without the condition.

Best wishes

Mark