May 2021 Poll: How do you rate the IFoA's integrity/trustworthiness?

Discussion in 'Careers' started by pjlee01, May 26, 2021.

?

May 2021 Poll: How do you rate the IFoA's integrity/trustworthiness?

Poll closed Jun 2, 2021.
  1. 1 very poor

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. 2 poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3 acceptable

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4 good

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5 very good

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. pjlee01

pjlee01 Ton up Member

I think it will be interesting to see how people on here view their relationship with the IFoA. (This poll has been set up with "display votes publicly" unticked, so votes should be anonymous. That certainly is my intention, but I'm not very familiar with this forum's software.)

Last edited: May 26, 2021
  2. pjlee01

pjlee01 Ton up Member

I was unaware until today that the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries, although it expects all of its members to uphold Integrity (the first of the 6 principles of the Actuaries' Code), quietly dropped it from its list of Values earlier this year. Until February 2021, for many years its values were "Community, Integrity and Progress". In March 2021 they had changed to "Member-focused, Action-oriented, Forward-and-outward-looking, and Team-driven" (see https://www.actuaries.org.uk/about-us).

3. pjlee01

pjlee01 Ton up Member

Does anyone remember being consulted about the change in values, with Integrity being removed?
    The Actuaries' Code guidance on Integrity includes:

"3.2 Integrity is generally accepted as a fundamental requirement to act in an ethical and professional manner. If someone has integrity, their actions are consistent with their beliefs, both stated and real. They will not claim to have a certain belief and then act in a way that contradicts this, whether or not they are likely to be caught out."

The iFoA has a membership contract with its members, which it seems to have changed, without consultation, half way through a membership year. Is that consistent with integrity? Or good communication?

almost_there likes this.