Maximum attempts allowed in CT series

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Rajat gupta, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Rajat gupta

Rajat gupta Ton up Member

Dear All
    I have heard that a candidate can fail maximum 4 attempts in CT series exam and if he fails further then he/ she is debarred from Actuarial qualification. Is it really the case from Ifoa or IAI? Please guide.

Regards,
    Rajat

2. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

It certainly used to be the case that there was a maximum. However, I can't find this in the student handbook.

However, students who are failing this many times really should reconsider their career as there is a serious weakness in either their understanding or their studying or both and this means that they are unlikely to proceed further in the exams.

Rajat gupta likes this.
  3. Rajat gupta

Rajat gupta Ton up Member

Tha
    Thanks Sir for replying. Does the maximum limit stands today as well? Is it for only Ifoa or IAI as well? I just want to know for awareness.

4. Infinity

Infinity Member

There used to be a maximum, but this has long been removed. However due to the new Curriculum planned for 2019, a time limit is being imposed again through the back door.

You have 3 sittings to make sure you pass CT1 and CT5, CT4 and CT6 and CT8 or face extra exams. If you have CT1 but not CT5, then you have 3 sittings to pass otherwise all the hard work you did for CT1 will be absolutely worthless.

This hasn't really been communicated properly to students and I for one will go from having 3 exams left to having 6 exams if I do not pass in the next 3 sittings, so there is a time limit in this respect.

5. almost_there

almost_there Member

People who've passed an exam and then find it's become worthless towards the Fellowship qualification should demand compensation from the IFoA for the time and costs incurred. It really doesn't reflect well on actuaries if they're too weak and afraid to stand up for what's right when they're hard done by.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2017