Mathematics

Discussion in 'SP4' started by jfitz, Aug 18, 2014.

1. jfitz

jfitz Member

Just read Chapter 14 and I'm a little concerned as it included integration/differentiation which I'm no longer comfortable with.

Is material such as Question 14.2 in the Course Notes examinable?

2. Gresham Arnold

Gresham Arnold ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi jfitz

The bottom line is: if it is in the Core Reading then it is examinable. The Core Reading before SAQ 14.2 presents one formula and then notes it can be re-expressed in another form and SAQ 14.2 asks the reader to do the maths to show this. So my view is that it is examinable and hence fair game in an exam. :(

However, in the past, ST4 papers haven't tended to test maths such as integration and differentiation, or ask candidates to prove one formula equals another. The papers usually require candidates to perform some calculations, but the mathematics itself doesn't tend to be difficult :) .

So in summary, yes you might be asked to integrate / differentiate, but it would be pretty unusual. So, while in an ideal world it would be good to brush up on these skills, I reckon other things like learning Core Reading and practising idea generation ought to be higher priority.

I hope this helps.

Gresham