Marking policy

Discussion in 'SA4' started by alicerachel, Apr 3, 2008.

1. alicerachel

alicerachel Member

I noticed that the assignments give quarter marks for some answers.

Does anyone know if this also apply to the Institute's marking?

Always useful to know whether your bullet points are going to be worth a half mark or a quarter mark...

2. inthebag

inthebag Member

rule I follow is if it's a 10 mark Q say then I try and get 20 good points down

3. While studying 303 (general) I kept getting really annoyed by the past papers where inevitably I would assume the question wanted, say, eight points and the answer wanted 16 (or, even worse, 4 -> 16 - diff 1 mark and 1/4 mark!).

So my conclusion was to write as fast as possible with as many ideas as I could think of.

Seemed to work. Passed that one....

Then, 303 was more 'listy' then (especially as the horrid 'risks and uncertainties' chapter was still in it, which I believe has migrated to CA1).

What's my general guide is don't expect 1 mark for anything, assume 1/2 mark, and if it's a 'list' question, assume the worst and go for 1/4 mark!

The 'writing' questions seem to give you better marks for things that are (presumably) things you'd have had to 'think' about; rather than bookwork.

Then again, my exam technique is not the 'recommended' technique - I go through the questions, in order, like a steamtrain; then once I've got to the end I go back to questions I left not-completely-answered. So my technique and my assumption of 'write as much as possible' work together, but 'write as much as possible' doesn't mean I waste time trying really hard to find 16 points for a 4 mark question - however many immediately spring to mind get regurgitated onto the paper, then if I have time later and less than 16 sprung to mind, I can write one or two more down.