"Mark for each distinct concept"

Discussion in 'CA1' started by Tarbuck, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Tarbuck

Tarbuck Member

So I'm now coming up to my third attempt at this, despite not failing any other exam. I've not done a tutorial in it and the people in my company who have say that acronyms are key. I'm now looking at the acronym app and take for example "characteristics of a good project" - Are critical path analysis, milestone review schedule and appropriate pacing really 3 distinct concepts? Are testing at all stages and judging/ monitoring at all stages 2 distinct concepts? If they take that acronym as the model marking answer thats about a quarter of the marks I would lose for thinking appropriate scheduling and continuous testing are 2 distinct concepts and not marginally rewording them for an extra 3 half marks. Or can somebody provide any advice on what makes them distinctly different to be worth a separate mark that I can apply to answering questions in general?

I'd be put out if people were getting 3 extra half marks for no different concepts, just regurgitating an arbitrary list somebody has come up with - not least ebcause the advice at the beginning is to be able to come up with your own list of distinct concepts - not regurgitate a rote learned acronym.

2. Jesoos

Jesoos Member

This is my second attempt and I'm also having a hard time with this.

During my exam practise I often write one sentence/paragraph covering a concept. But to save time I will include some options/alternatives.

Eg. The timing and/or amount of assets and/or liabilities are uncertain.

This is technically four different points:

• [/
    • Timing of assets are uncertain
    • Amount of assets are uncertain
    • Timing of liabilities are uncertain
    • Amount of liabilities are uncertain
      LIST]

Obviously the first sentence is much faster and saves times.

But I am not sure how this will be marked in the exam, especially since the exam papers (ASET) set out all the points separately.

Similarly with the Acronyms - often the same concepts are mentioned numerous times in different ways, while others are grouped together.

I suppose we could always make our own Acronyms at the risk of not getting all the points...:eek:

But what I know for sure is that there is only one way to go and that's to learn the Acronyms off by heart!!!

Best of luck!!

3. tiger

tiger Member

The CTs are very different to CA1 & the ST/SA exams.
    I found tutorials and in particular mock exams helped.
    Good luck!