Mark Allocations

Discussion in 'SP1' started by Prosper Matiashe, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Hi Guys,

Can someone explain the mark allocations for marking ST1? As in, which types of questions have 0.5 marks per point, which ones have 0.25 marks per point, which one have 1 mark per point etc.. I'm trying to really know how many points I should raise for a particular type of question to ensure passing.

Regards

2. Mark Willder

Mark Willder ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Most points will probably score 0.5 each. However, sometimes only 0.25 marks are awarded per point - this is most likely where you have very short answers such as in a list - so you need to be careful in list questions to write enough to get the marks. 1 mark might be awarded for a longer, more complex point. Sometimes 1 mark is awarded for a relatively short point if it is the most important idea - so it is worth putting down the most important concepts first as these may be scoring 1 instead of 0.5.

I hope this helps you to determine how much to write in each question.

Good luck with the exam

Mark

3. Thank you very much Mark.

Also where can I find information on what precisely is required for different questions like State, List, Describe, Outline, Explain, Discuss, Indicate, etc. In case you have the information, may you kindly share.

Regards

4. Mark Willder

Mark Willder ActEd Tutor Staff Member

The profession's official guidance on these command verbs can be found at:

https://www.actuaries.org.uk/studyi...and-verbs-used-associate-and-fellowship-exams

Best wishes

Mark

5. Thank you very much Mark.