LPP raise capital

Discussion in 'CT2' started by Neha Maheshwari, Mar 3, 2016.

1. In chapter 2 of course its mentioned on Pg11 and again on Pg29 that a limited liability company (LLP) can raise capital easily through public. I searched it on the net and it is mentioned that LLP's can't issue shares or go public.

Please solve this discrepancy.

2. Colin McKee

Colin McKee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

I can't see any reference to LLPs being able to issue shares or raise capital from the public. There are a couple of places where the notes say "limited liability" makes it easier to raise capital. This is true is a broad sense, because if liability is limited to the company as a separate legal entity, then it will be easier to get someone to invest in the company. However I don't see a sentence in the course notes that say LLP can issue shares to the public.

Neha Maheshwari likes this.
  3. Simon James

Simon James ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi. I think you may be confusing Limited Liability Partnerships (LLPs) and Limited Companies. It is limited companies that are discussed on page 11.

Limited liability means it is easier to raise capital from potential investors (ie other members of the public) as the investors' liability is limited. This is what is says in the summary on pg 29.

Limited companies would do this by issuing shares, LLP's would try to attract new partners ("members") who would bring capital into the LLP (as you say, LLPs can't issue shares or "go public").

Neha Maheshwari likes this.
  4. Thank-you Colin and Simon I guess I was confusing limited liability with LLp.

Your explanation sure cleared my misunderstanding.