Liverpool/Manchester

Discussion in 'Careers' started by plp, Jun 1, 2006.

1. plp

plp Member

Hi,

I'm a Canadian Acturial student, and my fiance currently lives in Liverpool. I was trying to find out the about the actuarial job market in Liverpool, Manchester, or any where close to these regions. Can anyone direct me to any actuarial companies/job recruiting agencies in that area.

Also, besides London, where is there is a demand for actuaries in the UK? Can anyone direct me to any good job recruiting actuarial agencies, or companies/websites.

Thanks

2. Paul

Paul Member

Life Companies

I don't know whether you're a life/pension/GI student, but there are certainly a number of Life offices in Manchester and Liverpool including:

Royal & Sun Alliance
    Royal London
    Royal Liver
    Resolution
    Windsor Life

To be honest, if you speak to any of the recruitment consultants operating in the UK (have a look at the banners down the right-hand side of http://www.the-actuary.org.uk/cgi-bin/index.pl?mode=appointments if you don't know any), they'll be able to identify which companies in these areas are recruiting.

Good luck!

3. plp

plp Member

Thanks a lot! I'm in Life now, so that's great news. Do you know if companies in the UK will allow you to continue with exams under the SOA(North American Actuarial system) rather than converting to the UK system, since it's very unfavourable for me.

Thanks again

4. veeko

veeko Member

They probably would let you continue with SOA exams - the only downside is, I suspect, that the only exam centre available for SOA exams would be in London.

Other companies to add to the list:
    CIS - Manchester
    Watson Wyatt - Manchester ( I think they do Life consultancy there)
    Aegon - Lytham St. Annes.
    Countrywide Assured - Preston
    Chesnara plc - Preston
    Phoenix Life Assurance - Liverpool (I think)

5. plp

plp Member

Sweet, Thanks.

6. plp

plp Member

lol...i just said thanks to myself by accident....thanks man...