Links to CA1

Discussion in 'ST3' started by pjmpjm, Mar 20, 2008.

1. pjmpjm

pjmpjm Member

I am contemplating skipping CA1 and taking ST3 next session. The reason for this is that next session is the last one before ST3 gets split. I will hopefully get an exemption from ST0 and so don't want to sit SA3 having only covered half of ST3 (i.e. when it splits into reserving and pricing from April 2009).

I've looked at the syllabus for CA1 and ST3 and it looks like the actuarial control cycle is the only overlap. However I'd be interested to hear if anyone taking ST3 now thinks there's a strong reason to need to cover CA1 before ST3.

As I have many, many years of general insurance experience (not recognised by the WBS team unfortunately - spit!) but have only just started the exams I might also squeeze in a punt at SA3 next session but I don't think I could fit in CA1 in the same time period. Well not without writing off any chance of passing anyway!

Well thanks in advance for any assistance and good luck in the exams!

2. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

There's lots of overlap between CA1 and ST3. It doesn't really matter which you take first, in my opinion. Either will help with the other.

BUT you may like to know that the split of ST3 has now been deferred until the 2010 exams. The profession decided this very recently. This may influence your decision too!

3. pjmpjm

pjmpjm Member

The news about the delay is invaluable.

I've sat all the CTs in order so far so I may as well continue on the orderly path and take CA1 next time now.

Thanks, Ian.