Level of difficulty and pass marks - SP9 Sep20

Discussion in 'SP9' started by krishdear, Oct 6, 2020.

1. krishdear

krishdear Member

Hi all,

Hope you had a good attempt at the exam. What do you think about the level of difficulty of the question paper and expected pass marks?

Krishna

Albina likes this.
  2. Cf92

Cf92 Keen member

Overall I thought it was a fair paper.

The last question was quite difficult and there was a lot of investment - specifically derivatives and hedging - throughout the whole paper

There was also a little but of a Brexit case study too.

Will wait and see in 10 weeks time

krishdear likes this.
  3. Glad I am not the only one who found Q3 quite difficult.

Paper also felt long and never ending. Had to really push for time at the end.

How did you find it @krishdear?

4. krishdear

krishdear Member

In agreement that Q3 was on the difficult side and I too found myself rushing for time towards the end. Overall I thought it was a fairly concentrated paper which was skewed towards FX and derivates rather than assessment of a range of topics from the syllabus, e.g., very little from the corporate governance side of things.

Any guesses on expected pass marks?

5. I can't see them going as high as 64 again. The last two sessions had a pass rate of mid twenty percent. But the examiners never seize to amaze so I am more hoping that they don't go that high again than anything else.
    But I fully agree with you in the sense that the paper was focused very narrowly on derivatives and life insurance - very frustrating

6. The last two sessions and this paper kind of remined me about the past paper where the risks had to be identified for that ERMI qualification, where the pass rate movements are not consistent. :D

7. Markimedes

Markimedes Member

I thought the paper was on the difficult side, mainly because of the last question. Completely agree that the paper seemed pretty investment/derivative focused although I did have a laugh to myself at the very topical Brexit scenario for question 1.
    Hopefully the pass mark isn't quite as high as it has been but I'm forgetting about that possibility for now!

8. I feel the paper was difficult. It was looking more like a investment risk paper rather than overall ERM. Many aspects of the syllabus was untouched. All they concentrated was market risk. The Q3 was very confusing.
    I hope they don't fail 75% of the candidates again in this attempt. Good Luck

Markimedes likes this.