Lam second edition

Discussion in 'SP9' started by Edwin, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Edwin

Edwin Member

Hi, I just realised the second edition on Lam will be used for the 2015 exams, but I haven't bought it I still have the first edition. Should I get worried and deregister?

Are there any big contextual differences between the two?

2. Simon James

Simon James ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi - the syllabus does state the new edition of Lam. The new edition has been substantially extended and much of this now forms part of the required reading.

Whether you will be at a disadvantage in the exam if you have used the first edition is yet to be seen. For an otherwise well-prepared candidate it should not make too much difference, but you would be well advised to get hold of a copy and read through it at least.

3. RobWat

RobWat Member

Hi, I'm trying to understand how the syllabus has changed since last year, so I can identify areas that I may not have studied as well as others due to the lack of relevant past paper questions.

I've read the CMP upgrade note and it says:

"Extensive changes have been made to the notes, particularly to Parts 1 and 2, to incorporate the new required reading in Lam."

Simon, you've also said:

"The new edition has been substantially extended and much of this now forms part of the required reading."

I've only read the latest edition of Lam.

Would it be possible to give us a flavour or high level summary of these changes, please?

Thanks

4. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

Also, is the new LAM edition a second edition?

5. Simon James

Simon James ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Sorry for any confusion, the relevant text for 2015 is the second edition of Lam (the "latest" edition referred to earlier in this thread).

The second edition has a yellow cover. The first half is largely the same as the first edition (black cover). There are then additional chapters that delve into more detail and explore some additional topics/themes.

If you have the latest=second=yellow copy of Lam, you have the right one!

6. RobWat

RobWat Member

Thanks Simon

7. ActPass

ActPass Member

Can anyone list some key themes/topics in the new edition that were not in the first edition ? Thanks.

8. RobWat

RobWat Member

From what Simon is saying, I think it's basically the last section on ERM implementation. From the past papers it feels like ERM implementation has always been on the syllabus and is frequently examined. However I think the new section brings it to life more and articulates it more specifically.

9. ActPass

ActPass Member

Thanks Rob. I would have thought so.

What initiated my question was that I was more worries about if the new edition includes some specific, "hard-core" contents such as "7 lessons learned" which needed to remember by heart.

I totally agree that some implementations should be covered by the notes, other textbooks, or just by common sense. For example, one of the past paper about "whistle blowing", one doesn't need any Lam's :)

10. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

Thanks Simon, to be more specific, which chapters from the second (yellow) edition should be a point of focus?

11. David Wilmot

David Wilmot ActEd Tutor Staff Member

The main new sections in the second edition of relevance to ST9 are:
    · Chapter 19 pages 472-504
    · Chapter 21 pages 364-366
    · Chapter 22 pages 381-397
    · Chapter 23 all
    · Chapter 24 pages 423-427 and 432-434
    · Chapter 25 pages 439-450.

If pushed, I'd prioritise Chapters 23 and 25.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  12. Edwin

Edwin Member

What are chapters 23 and 25 about?

13. David Wilmot

David Wilmot ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Risk assessment & Dashboard reporting