Lack of newly qualified actuarial jobs?

Discussion in 'Careers' started by Arsenal1, May 25, 2014.

1. Arsenal1

Arsenal1 Member

Hi all

I have just qualified and have been on the job market for a while looking for a new role. I have noticed over the last year or so there has been a significant reduction in actuarial jobs available at my level (newly qualified with 5 years experience). Has anybody else noticed the same?

There seems to be many entry level roles (actuarial analyst) but very few opportunities at least in the UK at my level. I remember a few year's back when there was so much demand for qualified actuaries that I would have had many offers by top companies. Is it really just because Solvency 2 has been pushed back or is this a rather worrying trend due to supply outstripping demand?

I am trying to stay positive and apply to many roles that vaguely match what I am looking for but I am concerned with the lack of relevant opportunities.

Any advice or help is appreciated.

2. Khanyi

Khanyi Member

Have you tried contacting recruiters? They're nor,
    Malloy quite good at providing advice and looking out fir opportunities that meet your specifications.

3. Calum

Calum Member

Definitely a harder market in the UK than it has been; with major Solvency II development coming to an end that's not much of a surprise.

It does seem that companies are in a better place to pick and choose people with matching skills than they have been, which definitely makes things tougher.

4. mpyan1

mpyan1 Member

There's probably no talk of this in the Actuary magazine or by the CEO of the Profession who seems terribly busy flying around the world to attract new members to this Profession, which will increase the supply of actuaries that can apply for UK jobs despite less UK jobs. Nice. Not.

5. mpyan1

mpyan1 Member

Not forgetting more supply means they don't need to pay people as much. Although HR will continue to lie that they'd pay higher for the 'right' candidate who has skills & experience to justify it. As if.