Kolmogorov equations

Discussion in 'CT4' started by sahildh, Sep 20, 2015.

1. sahildh

sahildh Member

Can someone explain the intutive meaning of Kolmogorov forward and backward differential equations? What is the difference between them ? How does their application vary in different situations ? A simple theoretical example could really help me out.

I know my questions are a bit awkward, but i really cant understand them!
    Thanking you in advance. :eek: :)

2. Hemant Rupani

Hemant Rupani Senior Member

Kolmogorov forward and backward differential equations are just differential forms of Chapman-Kolmogorov equation.... you can use it to get probabilities.

3. sahildh

sahildh Member

Thank you for the reply mate , but I need a more detailed explanation on the query.:)

4. Hemant Rupani

Hi, kindly ask specific query about any concepts... It's tough to provide full info at once. :)

5. sahildh

sahildh Member

Why do we represent a kolmogorov equation as a combination of probability of transition and the other part as transition rate ? I mean why transition from i to k as p_ik and the then transition from k to j as a transition rate; summing over all values of k in forward kolmogorov equation ? Similar in case of backward equations ? What is the difference in the equations ? Are they applicable in different cases ? I hope you know what I mean to say!

Thank you. Hoping my question are specific this time ! :)

6. Hemant Rupani

Suppose, you want to find \( P_{ij}(s,t) \) for discrete time Markov Chain, then you can do it simply by \(P^{t-s} \) for same probabilities or by adding multiplying by all paths or by Chapman-Kolmogorov equations and setting a middle time.

But, what about Continuous time Markov Process? how many times would you add the pathway(which you would get from multiplying Transit-to-transit)? suppose, unit time is years.. how many pathways will you get if you check daily/hourly/minutely/secondly transitions?
    We use differential equations to handle such pathways(so that you would get all pathways in time interval of size \(h,~where~h\to 0 \)... and we need transition rates for such, and we can get only 2 forms of differential equations(Backward and Forward), as long as we're looking for single differential equation.

for time-homogeneous you'll get same Backward and Forward equations(as we get differential equations by time length)... But for time-in-homogeneous case you'll see different LHS(you just take care the differential parameter)

for applicability, you can apply any form you feel easy for available data.

7. sahildh

sahildh Member

Thnx a lot Hemant bhai. Your explanation cleared many things. I just want to know only one thing more that, what do the components of the backward and forward equations mean? I mean that both have one part as transition rate and the other part a probability, but in a different order in both. So what do these actually mean, how does their different order in both forward and backward equation apply to situations? I want the concept behind the equations. I hope you know what I mean to ask.

Thanking you once again. Anyone's reply shall be helpful.

8. Hemant Rupani

Hi Sahil, You're Welcome... Yes! I got what you wanna know, I explained in my way...
    Now, let's wait for others reply :D

9. sahildh

sahildh Member

10. suraj

suraj Member

First of all read the latter half of page 26 chapter 5. That somewhat explains the difference b/w the two equations.

then solve the example on page 22 using both forward and backward equations and compare which method was easier.