Keep on failing my last SA exam

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by rave23, Dec 22, 2016.

1. rave23

rave23 Member

I just found out that I failed my SA again. I have sat SA4 for the 4th time and not sure how to study it for the 5th time, I know I am going to find it very hard to motivate myself to study the subject again. I just need some tips on go about studying for this exam as I am now completely lost!!!

Please provide me some advice.

2. almost_there

almost_there Member

I completely understand this terrible feeling and have sent you a private message with some thoughts which you might find helpful.

3. LastHurdles

LastHurdles Member

Similar feelings for Sa3. Thought I had done better than my previous attempt where I was two marks from passing. Will find out tomorrow the grade I guess. Fourth time lucky hopefully! Btw excellent timing for exam grades. Pretty sure results are normally at least two weeks before christmas break! Institute never fail to make changes in the right direction and that with the release of exam grades etc

4. Geraldine

Geraldine Member

I know! Right before Christmas - Cruel reality is dished out to the larger proportion of students, especially in the later subjects. At least I fly off to tour another country for a small holiday tomorrow (and I will not let the institute dampen that!)

5. Jim Bob

Jim Bob Member

and where does all that exam fee money go?
    there's the 360k pa package for the CEO! ;)

6. almost_there

almost_there Member

Seriously? That's more than twice what the Prime Minister gets!!! Also I don't think he's an actuary!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2016
  7. Jim Bob

Jim Bob Member

Latest published accounts. Though never liked comparing against PM salary as figure quoted ignores big pension accrued over relatively short period of time - so worth much more than headline figure.

8. bystander

bystander Member

Sorry for your disappointment this time of year. Enjoy the festive season nonetheless. As for re studying is there something you haven't tried? Eh face to face revision? Being part of a group can help spur you on. Whatever you do, be active rather than passive with it. And good luck. Victory will come

9. almost_there

almost_there Member

Seems that Mr Cribb's package has gone up around £100k in less than 5 years? What a waste of money. How about stopping future increases and diverting cash towards sorting out low pass rates particularly on CA3 ?

10. Geraldine

Geraldine Member

I got 63 :( - Mr Cribb is the anti-Robin Hood, stealing from the poor (students) and filling his own bulging pockets

Thanks bystander - will be getting some mock marking done. I know the question I messed up (or didn't have enough time for) but still want to be more sure of a pass

11. https://www.acted.co.uk/forums/index.php?threads/exam-marking-problems.12902/

12. bystander

bystander Member

Knowing which question you stuffed up or didn't have time for suggests it's not knowledge you lack it's more around technique.
    So work on being time conscious - don't get carried away on a question you 'love' and be disproportionate in time v marks. Always stick to the question don't veer from it or repeat yourself. Perhaps use reading time better to choose question order eg if there are lots of words to absorb this can be time consuming just to read alone. So if you leave it last you don't read it so well which can further exacerbate the quality in answer you can give. Lots of timed exam papers and a mock sound a good plan. Remember also if stuck for time resort to bullets and get the easy marks quickly. And on exam day it's think 'this is my chance to shine - I can and I will' Forget past disappointments. Any negativity can harm performance. Best wishes.

nyaman likes this.
  13. howard

howard Active Member

Hi, I am in the same position, having failed my SA several times. Does anyone have any advice?

14. mavvj

mavvj Ton up Member

Hi Howard.

My advice would vary depending on what the issue is that is resulting in you not passing. One of the advantages of doing the papers in this post covid era is that you should still have the paper to look at. So consider these questions about a couple of common issues.

Are you completing the paper?
    * If not, are you spending too much time on the questions you have attempted such as writing too many points for the marks?
    * Are you doing practice of questions under timed conditions prior to the exam? Don't have to do a full paper under timed conditions but by doing individual questions under them then you can get an idea of how much time you should be spending. Practice will also allow you to speed up.

Are you writing lots of non-scoring points?
    * Are the points too general to score (need to be more specifically tailored to the question scenario since we've gone open book)?
    * Are the points you are writing not addressing the question? eg writing a lot about capital models when the question was about risks modelled by a capital model.

MindFull likes this.