Just a thought

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by mnemonic, Oct 13, 2009.

1. capitalH

capitalH Member

I think it worked well for me - I did some other studies during the time, which I think serves me well. At the time I stopped I was slightly demotivated about becoming an actuary - attempting exams at this time would have had less than desirable results.

It also allowed me to focus on my job, and to gain some very valuable experience - I do not think I would have progressed as I had if I attempted a full actuarial study load during this time.

I continued to pay subscriptions as I wanted to keep the actuarial option open.

The reason for which I continued to pay subs - also did not want to lose my exemptions by stopping to pay subs (I do now know whether you will - I just had this fear that I would have to start over)

I were doing something different and still is!

Hope this helps Amarantha. Are you considering a break? If so my only advice would be:

If you do it, do it with a purpose. Do a Masters degree or a PhD. Focus on getting the job you want. Go climb Everest. And return as soon as you are done.

If you stop just for the sake of taking a break it may be very difficult to start again. If you are tired and need some rest, skip a session (or maybe split one exam over 2 sessions).

2. Busy_Bee4422

Busy_Bee4422 Ton up Member

Coming back to the profession isn't difficult at all. All you need is to get an actuary to sign your reinstatement application and it's done.

Exemptions no problem again. I only applied for mine this year in February for a credits I got in 2001 or thereabouts.

It seems to me the profession is very understanding about these matters. I wonder if the market is. The problem here is getting a job after the haitus. You may have to answer a couple of odd questions interviews when you want to return to the profession. Consider the market seriously otherwise it may be an exit instead of a break.

3. anon2

anon2 Member

:eek:

Journalism, I would guess. ;)

4. capitalH

capitalH Member

Wow. Not that different.
    With different I mean related to actuarial work but not deemed to be actuarial work. Like banking.

Journalism would have been a nice break though - then I would not have been so terrified of the CA3 results!

5. Goku

Goku Member

What banking did you do Capital H?

I also started off in a bank ;) Got a position as a Quantitative Credit Analyst. My responsibilities were to work with the Basel II parameters (PD's, LGD's etc.), risk pricing and developing/monitoring of Credit Scorecards.

Was quite fun for the first 2 years, but then I received the "prodigal" calling from inside, and am now at a Life office...where I'm not the only "actuarial one" ;)

Though through that status, I guess I was well compensated: performance bonuses, and very generous increments in salary (since I was on a junior "executive" level).

Now's I'm an assistant (actuarial that is...). Quite a change :( however, I still retained my salary :) guess that's due to the number of CT's I had at the time of application, as well as overall work experience and my academic record; in fact my salary was structured so as to include all of the CT's that I still has to write that year, and the increases I would have received had I passed them was included (!).

Feel much happier now, though; am in an environment where I'm guranteed to learn a few new things every week, and where I'm faced with real challenges!

The banking stuff was too simple...a 2nd year stats student could have done my job.