Job prospects of an Undergraduate

Discussion in 'India' started by Mr. Actuary, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Mr. Actuary

Mr. Actuary Member

Hi,
    I finished 10+2 recently.I am thinking of completing graduation of Bsc. Mathematics via distance education so that I can devote more time to actuarial studies.Will my lack of educational background(graduation from a reputed college) reflect in my job prospects? Also how many papers would it take to get a job without graduation?
    Or is there anyone who has acquired a job in india by clearing the CT's without graduation?
    Please reply.....

2. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

Your decision of skipping college is a rational one in an ideal situation. True, you gain nothing from attending classes in India.

A schoolmate of mine who tried this route for CA (pretty intelligent guy), ended up failing inter 5 times, and before realizing CA wasn't for him. His correspondence degree is virtually worth nothing and it took a while to get his life back on track. The question you will have to ask yourself is - are you willing to take that risk? If you don't pass actuarial papers as you planned/don't like the actuarial field, you'll be left with nothing to bank upon to help you move forward.

Have you considered registering for a college where attendance does not matter or taking up a course that complements mathematics (like computer science)?

3. Mr. Actuary

Mr. Actuary Member

Thank you Oxymoron for your reply.
    I shall explain myself to you.I was an ECE student of NIT calicut about 6 months ago. It was during this time I came upon actuarial science and it really caught my attention, as Maths and stats were my favourites.So I decided to drop out as I lacked any interest in ECE and pursuing actuary seemed the best option to me.
    Is there any respectable college in india which does not emphasize attendance?
    Also,in your opinion,can someone without graduation get an entry level job if many papers,CT series for instance are cleared?
    Once again thanks....

4. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

I'm not really sure, but there are a lot mediocre/bad ones that don't.

I'd believe so, although I haven't seen anyone in this situation before. The CT series eats up any available bachelor's degree.

5. rshenoy

rshenoy Member

Dropped out of NIT Calicut!!!??? I did my engineering from NIT, Surathkal (a long long time ago) and in such a set up you get plenty of time to study anything else you want. For engineering exams themselves, we used to start studying a week before exam dates. Attendance was not really much of a bother either, and there is a pretty decent job at the end of the four year period.

I think you let go of exactly what you were looking for.

6. Mr. Actuary

Mr. Actuary Member

Yes, I agree that the above mentioned schedule is applicable during the first year and I did have a decent GPA. But when specialization into respective branches came in the consequent years, I bearly had time to cover those portions let alone allote time for actuarial studies. And above all I wasnt interested in the subjects (especially the labs).
    Do you think that a correspondence degree along with a lot of actuarial exams are worth in india?

7. rshenoy

rshenoy Member

Your actuarial subject passes will have to count. For anything decent you have to clear all CTs, which will take you at least 2 to 3 yrs. and you have to go on to complete your associate and fellowship. It's a 4 to 5 yr path. There are thousands of people with a few ct passes and frankly while it may get you an entry level job, it has no value. You at least have to go for all ct passes.