Job market picking up in the UK?

Discussion in 'Careers' started by cjno1, Jun 25, 2014.

1. cjno1

cjno1 Member

There was about an 18month period where I had absolutely no contact from recruitment agencies (it was quite nice actually!) but in the last 2 or 3 weeks I can't get rid of them! I've had about 8 emails and 5 phone calls from different agencies, and several linkedin requests.

Has anyone else noticed the same? Do you think the job market for actuaries is picking up again or is this just an unusual spike?

2. ZimboActuary

ZimboActuary Member

hmmmmm lucky you my friend.

I recently graduated and have not been able to land an interview for two months. (despite having 10 exams thus far) Things are very different outside the UK. If only the VISA and work permit restrictions were workable, I would have really liked to partake in the UK job market. Most employers in the UK are also not very keen to sponsor Visa applications.

3. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

I think that for the past 2 months or so, the market has been picking up in comparison to a dead period throughtout 2013.

4. ccc84

ccc84 Member

Hi ZimboActuary!

Also from Zim, but working in South Africa now and have 11 exams under the belt. What you said is completely true because I only just got my EU citizenship and the reponse I've gotten from UK companies is way, way better than it was before I got my citizenship and passport. In fact, it was pointless before because nobody wants to sponsor a visa so the process would just end prematurely and so I just put everything on hold. Over the last 2 months I've had 3 interviews (telephonic). I find I can generate more interest in the UK compared to here in South Africa for instance. Perhpas if you get employed by a multinational company it's easier to move internally but my gut feel is that that kind of move generally happens once you're then qualified? Good luck!

5. ZimboActuary

ZimboActuary Member

@ ccc84

Hey sometimes i think that the profession needs to do more to ensure the portability of the qualification because for a profession which claims to have lots of career potential and rewards, its really hard to find a job.
    Then again, some of the barriers are politically motivated such as Visas and work permits.

6. mpyan1

mpyan1 Member

Come on guys, what future is there for Actuarial work in the UK now that disgraceful Chief Actuaries's main earner for the company- overseeing rip-off annuity and bonus rates - is diminishing, especially with the Chancellor's excellent "no one needs to buy an annuity" policy?

Not forgetting how EU S2 rules mean Actuaries need less imagination than previously thus less need for Actuaries follow number crunching rules when so many others could... for cheaper.

Not forgetting also how unpatriotic UK companies enjoy passing services offshore to get it done cheaper by non-Brits. You really think your little number crunching job on excel can't be done the other side of the world for less?

Bright UK grads should do themselves a favour and avoid this profession with its huge drop-out rates that the secretive profession would rather not discuss and historically has failed to address - why? Prefer it that way?

7. mpyan1

mpyan1 Member

In addition :

Over the years I've seen more people with zero Actuarial experience or exams get given Actuarial Analyst jobs.

It's obvious why! Companies have sussed out the exams are not required for spreadsheet work, cross checking numbers or to be a manager in an actuary department.

Also, they can pay those without fancy exam qualifications less money.

These people will not be members of the IFoA either.