job experience

Discussion in 'India' started by aditya, Mar 29, 2012.

1. aditya

aditya Member

hi,
    I have a query about after how many exams is it idealto start off with a job ,simultaneously studying....I have currently passed ct 1 and7

2. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

It's a good idea to complete at least 6 CTs (excluding CT9 and including CT4). You're pace of clearning actuarial papers, arguably, will reduce significantly after you join work. Not many companies in India offer study support...

3. aditya

aditya Member

this may not suit the thread .. but i want to know how difficult is ct4 compared to others...currently i am doing ct 2 and5

4. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

CT4 is an enjoyable subject if you like it ... and a nightmare if you don't. A good proportion of the people I've interacted with consider CT4 as the hardest CT paper to clear.

5. bystander

bystander Member

Two Cts should be feasible to do when working. Some people manage 3 in the run to April.

Often depends want employers expect.. the more support they give, the more they will expect you to take on.

And of course, you should be able to do more if you are including any resits.

6. aditya

aditya Member

thank you very much:D

7. kartik_newpro

kartik_newpro Member

I also have query regarding job experience.

Oxymoron, you say you will need 6 CTs to get a job India. Fair enough. But will it work if I am fresher? I mean what if I have no experience in any field related to actuarial work? I will be a graduate(in banking and insurance) in few months time and assuming I even clear 4 papers till that time, I dont I think I am eligible for an actuarial job. So, all I have is a bachelor's degree. And I think you will be quite aware what kind of jobs graduates end up getting in India as freshers. I will be lucky if I get into operations, forget actuarial (since most of us end up doing sales).

I guess you understood what my query is. Even with 6 CTs cleared, what are my chances of landing in a job with no prior experience in actuarial field?

8. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

No, I meant you will enjoy your job better if you have 6 CTs. To get a job, 2-3 CTs should do.

The state of the actuarial job market in India is a LOT better than you think it is. Companies do take in freshers, but since most of them do not advertise, you will need contacts within the companies to push your resume. Try mailing your CV to fellow actuaries (linkedin is a good option to catch em) for a better chance.

9. kartik_newpro

kartik_newpro Member

Its comforting to know that. Thanks Oxymoron.