Ito's Lemma - Geometric Brownian Motion

Discussion in 'CM2' started by RedCoat, Sep 29, 2020.

1. RedCoat

RedCoat Member

Hi, please could somebody help with applying Ito's Lemma to Geometric Brownian Motion? Apologies for it being horrendous to read, I couldn't seem to get the maths notation to display in my post. I will use pd to show partial derivatives.

Suppose we have dSt = St (mu dt + sigma dZt) where Zt is a Wiener process.

Then to apply Ito's Lemma we let dQt = dSt / St = mu dt + sigma dZt, so this is now in a form to apply Ito's Lemma.

Ito's Lemma says that if dXt = mu dt + sigma dWt then df(Xt) = (mu pdf/pdXt + 0.5 * sigma^2 pd^2f/pdXt^2) dt + sigma pdf/pdXt dWt

Substituting,

df(Qt) = (mu * pdf/pdQt + 0.5 * sigma^2 * pd^2f/pdQt^2) dt + sigma pdf/pdQt dZt

Let f(Qt) = log(Qt)

Then pdf/pdQt = 1/Qt and pd^2f/pdQt^2 = -1/Qt^2
    Substituting again

= df(Qt) = (mu/Qt - 0.5sigma^2 / Qt^2) dt + sigma/Qt dZt

Now, looking at (for example) the solution to Q3 on the April 2017 exam, I think my Qts should = 1 here, but I'm not sure why! Any help would be hugely appreciated. Think I'm making a huge mess of this.

2. Joe Hook

Joe Hook ActEd Tutor Staff Member

I think you have indeed overcomplicated this.

Noting the form we need for applying Ito's lemma in the Tables: a(X,t)dt + b(X,t)dz

Our SDE has a dt term and a dz term: mu*St*dt + sigma*St*dZt so all we need to do is set a = mu*St and b=sigma*St and then, with our log function as G, Ito's lemma will take care of the rest.

Hopefully a little simpler than you were making it out to be! :)

Joe

RedCoat likes this.