Is it time for me to give up exams???

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by veeko, Dec 6, 2007.

1. veeko

veeko Member

This is my 3rd sitting where I have not passed anything. I have seriously contemplated leaving the actuarial profession altogether and going elsewhere.
    I can honestly say that I put in a load of hard work into the exams in in the September sitting. I only sat for 1 exam and concentrated really hard on it. However, I am disillusioned because I believe that there was some hard work and I had given up a lot for this one CT, but the output was a fail.

Is it time for me to give up?

I can feel my skills being used in another job, but I don't know whether I will be successful, although I have the drive for it.
    I feel myself getting older and if I continue these exams, I see myself completing them when I am aged 35. Do I have anything to lose by giving up?

2. jeaneu

jeaneu Member

Have a read of November's Student page contribution, an article by Graham Woolford, who decided to brave "giving up"... and made a success of himself...

http://www.the-actuary.org.uk/pdfs/07_11_students.pdf

May give you some inspiration...

3. asdf123

asdf123 Member

have you had exam counselling? they'll help you find out why you failed and what you should do next time to increase your chance of passing.

which exam did you fail 3 times? do you want to have a go at another CT that's more related to your degree?

there're quite a few exams to pass before you qualify as an actuary. (15 or 16? lost count!) whether to give up or not depends if you really want to be an actuary, and if you really enjoy your work.

good luck.