Is it possible

Discussion in 'Careers' started by vathapi, Feb 26, 2009.

1. vathapi

vathapi Member

I am giving my first exam in May 2009. I am a Math graduate.
    Minimum how many papers do we have to finish - so as to apply for a job.
    Does age matter ? I am 38 yr now?
    Is it very late to start the course ?
    Also I would like to know whether I can finish few papers and start working?

2. geoff97531

geoff97531 Member

In my limited experience you would be best to get two or three CT's under your belt before approaching an employer at age 38. They'l take on a graduate with no experience but I would be surprised to see one invest the same amount of money in someone who will not be able to serve them for as long. Go for CT1 (easiest - financial maths) and CT3 (stats) and if you want another CT2 is accounting and CT7 is economics; both 'reasonably' interesting with CT7 being a little bigger but the less less boring of the two in my humble opinion! Good luck, it's a long old process to qualify but if you want to do it there's no reason to let age be a barrier.

3. Zebedee

Zebedee Member

In the UK the age discrimination act prevents employers (openly) discriminating in the way Geoff describes. I know (well) two companies that have taken on graduates in their 30s in the recent past who had no exam passes or exemptions. If you meet the profession's entry requirements (sounds like you do), are prepared to commit to passing the exams, and are prepared to start on just a graduate salary then you should apply now for Sept 09 intakes rather than fund yourself through the early exams.

Be prepared for subtle questions at interview about your personal life etc. Employers may doubt your ability to pass the exams if you have or will soon have young children competing for your attention. Practice how you will handle these questions (the answers to which are none of their business).

4. didster

didster Member

Good point.
    I remember applying for a job just after uni, and got only as far as an interview with HR, because I didn't come across as serious enough about the work needed to pass exams. I don't think it was justified (now having 1 exam left having failed only once), but it did open my eyes to the way some employers think.

Whilst I didnt have any children, I could see how children or similar commitments could paint a similar bad picture. So be prepared for showing how you would be able to pass.

5. Nutan

Nutan Member

It is possible!

I am 38 and have just started training as an actuary in a graduate position. I was working as a physicist prior to this but decided to have a change of career. The bigger barrier I found was that I only have 2 A-levels and despite having a phd many employers would not consider my application. But some will and I managed to get in so it is possible. Good luck!

6. bystander

bystander Member

As our friend says, its not impossible. Maturity can be a good thing - less temptations to get distracted from studies perhaps? And you will have thought it thru' so maybe its less of a 'punt' from your viewpoint.

For interview, think why physics is no longer for you but what skills it has given you that are transferrable.

Yes many will not look at you so you must be prepared for disappointment/rejection along the way but persistence should pay dividends.

And if you don't try you may always think 'What if......'

All the very best