Is it advisable to do CT5 as your second exam after CT1?

Discussion in 'CT5' started by Ex-muso, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Ex-muso

Ex-muso Member

hi all

I've just done CT1... and hopefully passed - but who knows.

My boss has recommended that the next exam I do should be Contingencies, as that will be most relevant to our work.

I've got the CT5 notes and in the first few pages there are phrases like "we assume knowledge of CT4 - Models" and knowledge of the force of mortality (and knock-on concepts and formulas) is also clearly assumed. I haven't studied the force of mortality at all as yet.

I know the exam structure has changed over the years - is it possible that my boss is referring to a different exam?

The most important question is, "is it advisable to do CT5 as your second exam after CT1?".

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

2. Julie Lewis

Julie Lewis Member

I usually encourage my students to take CT4 and CT5 at the same time as they fit well together. But you don't say if you've done CT3 already. I would strongly advise against taking CT4 until you have passed or got an exemption from CT3.

CT5 before CT4 is certainly do-able, but there are some things (like force of mortality and Health-Sickness-Death model) that are introduced in CT4 and used again in CT5.

3. Ex-muso

Ex-muso Member

I haven't done CT3.

It sounds as though your advice might be to do CT3 and then look to combine CT4 and CT5 in a later exam session. Is that right?

4. Julie Lewis

Julie Lewis Member

Yes, that's what I would do if I were you. CT2/7 and CT3 this time would probably be a good idea.

5. waddle

waddle Member

my thought

I would recommend doing CT4 at the same time - There is one or two chapter in CT4 which are very relevant. Not sure if there is much relevance to CT3 given that you are ok with basic prob like density and distribution...I think