IP policy to cover premium for other insurance

Discussion in 'SP1' started by mawenjinde, Oct 18, 2012.

1. mawenjinde

mawenjinde Member

Hi all,

On page 8 of chapter 6 of ST1: it says that there is 'virtual absence of anti-selection' for this type of IP policy.
    But I think there is still some incentive for insured to anti-select. So I don't quite get the 'virtual absence'. Could anyone explain it?

Thank you

Terry

2. Charlie

Charlie Member

I think there is probably a bit of scope for anti-selection, but as the premium for this additional need would be so small, I guess we can probably ignore it.

Or maybe it means that you might select against the insurer generally when buying IP, but the degree of anti-selection would be virtually no higher if you bought some additional sum insured to cover your insurance premiums / pension contributions.

3. Calum

Calum Member

A two-part argument, I'd guess; firstly, you only take this kind of policy out to cover the premiums of a policy you already have. Secondly, the kind of person who anti-selects is unlikely to have already taken out a policy without anti-selecting against that policy.

4. bystander

bystander Member

possibly because with most contracts the benefit will not kick in immediately and so effectively you would have to be without income for a point in time which for 99.9% of the poultaion wouldn't be a desirable place.