Investigation into possible plagiarism

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Peter90, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Nr-actuary

Nr-actuary Member

They are accusing you.they must provide the evidence....

VictorC_Lndn likes this.
  2. Nr-actuary

Nr-actuary Member

Yep..it works everytime.

3. almost_there

almost_there Member

You're gonna admit what exactly? Have they shown you the full details of the accusation or what?

4. leechang

leechang Member

They have given no details. I’m planning to say I did use my notes for some points as I thought it was open book. The assessment regulations didn’t state we cannot type up from personal notes. Only the July update states you can’t copy and paste. The March one said nothing.

VictorC_Lndn and Priya12 like this.
  5. Priya12

Priya12 Member

Yes, to be honest it’s pretty depressing working hard for all of 2020 even during the pandamic for this and getting through today.

My exam history states I’ve failed so there’s probably no point in me submitting evidence.

6. Nr-actuary

Nr-actuary Member

If you don't respond, they can still find against you in your absence. .. trust me

7. phos2

phos2 Member

What does it say under your exam results, does it have the sitting there and if so pass or fail? Curious on if they are giving you your results

8. Priya12

Priya12 Member

yes has the sitting and says fail.

9. phos2

phos2 Member

What mark? What does it say in the results letter not the exam history

10. MindFull

MindFull Ton up Member

If you do have evidence, it may be worth submitting to avoid getting any penalties ..

11. Given that Acted is the primary education provider, perhaps it would be good for Acted to publish a statement to confirm whether they would still encourage students to learn the book work. I would assume that since exams are now taken online, we would also need a technique to answer questions without being considered plagiarising.

VictorC_Lndn likes this.
  12. almost_there

almost_there Member

Then your course of action does not make any sense really. How can you admit something when you're not clear what you are being accused of? You might open yourself up to further accusations. Surely you should pause and request details first.

13. Peter90

Peter90 Member

For the people who got letters - what did it say on your results page?

Does it say P ( Pass) or F (Fail) or something else.

Was there a mark given on your results letter ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2020
  14. Sarah_64

Sarah_64 Member

It says my grade is H but then doesnt state what H is. It says P = pass and F = Fail. I am guessing H = on hold but that's just a guess! Would've been nice for them to clarify something for us, but no. An unknown H it is.

VictorC_Lndn likes this.
  15. almost_there

almost_there Member

I think not responding would be a bad idea. It's wise to state you are denying the allegations and that you reserve the right to submit evidence once you have been presented with full details of the allegations and evidence being used against you.

mavvj likes this.
  16. Priya12

Priya12 Member

No word of a lie, the definitions I’ve been accused of plagiarising are word for word in the examiners report. Actually crazy what this is implying.

“We will give you a mark of 0, because ur answer is a mark scheme answer.”

17. almost_there

almost_there Member

What I and others really think of this situation will never allowed to be posted on this forum. The discussion must continue freely elsewhere.

18. Nr-actuary

Nr-actuary Member

Considering the fact that the mark scheme agreed and finalised after the exam and not before, how exactly can a examinee copy the unreleased mark scheme

19. Priya12

Priya12 Member

I mean they have used the same definitions from the core reading in April 2020 that they are saying I took from the core reading.

VictorC_Lndn likes this.
  20. Will Harrison

Will Harrison Member

Hi Guys,

I have also been accused of plagiarism with reference to a previous examiners report. I am at a loss as to how this has come about!

I was wondering what sort of evidence people have actually submitted? It would be extremely useful to get an idea of this to help with my own case.

Thanks!

21. almost_there

almost_there Member

Apparently an accusation of plaigarism/cheating was made by IFoA towards a student a few years ago who had scored "too high" in his exam and the student ended up taking IFoA to Court over it. I'm afraid I have no more details than that. It might be an idea for the people accused to find out more about this to see if anything can be learned from it to assist your own defence.