Investigation into possible plagiarism

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Peter90, Jul 19, 2020.

1. almost_there

almost_there Member

It's more than that isn't it. It was essential to have any chance of passing the exams and qualifying as an actuary. Now you're saying it shouldn't need to be tested. This begs the question was it ever essential and why are students today not required to be tested on this competency by IFoA.

2. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

For a long time, I think there's been questions around the merit of students having to remember so much information (especially so CA1) when, in reality, if you're unsure in the workplace you would consult with other colleagues/notes etc. To be fair to the IFoA things are moving in the right direction with some of the earlier exams (ie use of R and excel meaning students really have to apply knowledge).

That said, testing bookwork demonstrates that students have worked hard and diligently to remember these key concepts - I don't think there's anything intrinsically wrong with that as a concept. If you don't want to work hard to pass these exams then you don't deserve to pass them.

The exams are online and open book due to a pandemic happening. In the past, book work questions would differentiate between well prepared candidates and those less well prepared. Now, everyone should do very well in these questions and they have access to the notes. So, at least in my mind, it makes sense to focus on application of knowledge.

3. Actuarily

Actuarily Member

I feel this is again going off track of the real underlying issue. The IFOA had 2 choices either to cancel the exams or adapt. We don't know how long the pandemic will go on for, and so I think the right decision was made.

I would like to emphasise we should move back to the topic this forum was originally created for. This view or opinion could be discussed in another.

ProudActuary likes this.
  4. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

At the moment we don't really know any more than you. Based on the information here and on the IFoA website, our general advice for now would be:
    1. Despite the move to open book, you still need to know and understand the course very well In order to avoid running out of time. Hence study techniques do not need to change a great deal, save practising using MS Word perhaps;
    2. If you do find that you need to refer to existing material in the exam, then make sure you don't directly copy anything but rephrase things into your own words - and this holds just as much for Core Reading as it does for ActEd notes or any other material;
    3. Don’t cut and paste anything from an external source – even if you intend to rewrite it.
    If you happen to know certain short pieces of bookwork almost word for word, from the glossary say, then we don't think you should spend too much time trying to reword things significantly.

We understand that the IFoA are currently reviewing their guidance and so hopefully we should all receive some more advice in the near future.

Actuarily and ProudActuary like this.
  5. almost_there

almost_there Member

It's not off track. These people have been accused for writing down the bookwork too well. They have now been tested on a different competence, which is not only to state the definition but using different wording or get accused of cheating. These exams are stressful enough without that fear.

VictorC_Lndn and Roy672 like this.
  6. almost_there

almost_there Member

... best not to do too well however as you might get accused of cheating and invited to prove a negative. The pandemic has exposed the fact that for years IFoA has been testing something unnecessary, which has caused many to never qualify. It's not just a matter of not being prepared enough. Many, especially those from mathematical backgrounds are just not good at bookwork/text memorisation. Some may even have disabilities in this regard. That doesn't mean they're not fit to be actuaries, who are not required to do such extensive memorisation of text.

7. Actuarily

Actuarily Member

I am not going to go tit for tat on this. It does not bring any guidance to people who are now sitting the exams, and so is off topic in my opinion. As a person who will be sitting exams in September, I would have thought this would now be the focus, not trying to cause a disruption to past sittings. Exam circumstances change to reflect changing circumstances.

I end on - What would happen for people who in the past, passed by doing well on bookwork, should they now have failed? I think your considerations for past sittings belong on another forum, but if you wish to continue here I'm happy to not participate.

8. Actuarily

Actuarily Member

Thank you for the advice. The additional guidance from the IFOA will hopefully clarify the concerns that this sitting raised and give us some peace of mind going forward.

9. almost_there

almost_there Member

Poor guidance is 100% IFoA's fault and not for anyone else to second guess what it ought to be.

10. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

You are trying to take this thread off track - please keep it on track regarding plagiarism issue. If you want to discuss the merits of bookwork v application questions then please start a new thread.

Agree that more guidance needs to come from the IFoA. ActEd have offered very useful advice, as always.

Actuarily likes this.
  11. Roy672

Roy672 Member

Has anyone heard from the IFoA about booking on to the September exams? They said in their letter that they would contact me by telephone at some stage this week. I’m a bit worried that the exams I want to sit will be oversubscribed since they have been in the past. If that is the case then it’ll be like I’m being penalised for doing absolutely nothing wrong.

Sindy and almost_there like this.
  12. NJ1600

NJ1600 Member

I was told monday but never got any call so i just emailed education services cc: assessment regs

13. Roy672

Roy672 Member

Did they reply to you? Did you get booked okay?

14. NJ1600

NJ1600 Member

no reply yet

15. almost_there

almost_there Member

Seems to me that IFoA's disgraceful actions against these individuals could lead to financial loss and/or inconvenience for them, also the mental anguish, from extending one's qualification time and/or reducing their exam opportunities.

16. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Hopefully the IFoA resolve exam bookings promptly for those cleared. Out of interest, have any of you heard of people who have been found guilty of plagiarism by the IFoA after the investigation?

For those of you adversely affected (cleared of wrong doing but significant uncertainty over what exam you would be sitting until the investigation was complete), I would strongly consider submitting a mitigating circumstances form for the September 2020 sitting! The IFoA's actions will have negatively impacted your performance in the upcoming exam session (the stress and worry of waiting on the outcome).

Actuarily likes this.
  17. almost_there

almost_there Member

How do you know they will accept this?

18. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

I don't know that they would accept this - it's just a suggestion hence why I said "strongly consider". Affected candidates may or may not feel it's worthwhile but if I were in their position it's something I'd be considering.

19. Sindy

Sindy Keen member

Has anyone received a call from IFOA yet about booking onto September exams? I've been anxiously waiting by my phone the past few days!

20. Imy

Imy Member

Congrats to those cleared from accusations. Out of curiosity what sort of evidence did they deem acceptable to clear you? I’m wondering what kind of preventative measures people should be taking to prevent being falsely accused for Sept.

VictorC_Lndn and Actuarily like this.
  21. Roy672

Roy672 Member

I called Education Services just now and was able to book my exams for September.

Actuarily likes this.