Interest rate caps

Discussion in 'SP5' started by wall_e, Aug 1, 2012.

1. wall_e

wall_e Member

In chapter 12 under interest rate caps it says that the caps can be seen as a series of call options. Later on in the chapter (pg. 15) it says that the interest rate caps can be seen as a put option. I'm not understanding why that is the case.
    I can see how it can be a series of call options. L*delta*max(Rk-Rx). if Rk is greater than Rx, then there is a payoff otherwise there isn't a payoff. But I can't see how a cap can be a put option when describing as layoffs on zero coupon bonds.

An explanation would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. Colin McKee

Colin McKee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

prices and yields!

Hi, This is a common problem with caps and floors. the problem revolves around that fact that a caplet can be viewed as either a call or a put depending on which underlying asset you choose. A caplet is exercised when the interest rate rises above the strike rate. this feels like a call option. And indeed early in the course we say that a cap can be viewed as a series of call options on interest rates.
    However, when interest rates go up, the price of a zero coupon bond goes down. So the same caplet would exercise when the PRICE of a bond falls below a preset level (determined by the strike interest rate of the caplet). So in another way, the caplet can be seen as a put option on the price of a notional bond. And a cap viewed as a series of put options on notional bonds.
    I hope this helps. I prefer to focus on the interest rates, and I would describe them as call options. Partly because the formula to value them is based on interest rates, so you would use the CALL option formula to value a caplet and the put option formula to value a floorlet.