insurance product(s)

Discussion in 'SP8' started by hanshua, Mar 25, 2012.

1. hanshua

hanshua Member

X is a large law firm with 800 lawyers based partly in London (where they own a small building) and with a back-office hub in Basildon, which they also own.

(a) What insurance product(s) is/are compulsory for X to buy?

I think it will be the employers' liability and motor third-party liability(if the firm own the cars), but except those two, is there any other insurance product that is compulsory for X to buy?

(b) Apart from the product(s) mentioned in (a), what is the most important insurance product that X should buy, whose absence risks bankrupting the firm? Explain why.

For this question, I think that Professional indemnity, Directors' & Officers' liability and Errors & Omissions cover is the most important insurance product that X should buy.
    But I do not know the difference between D & O with E & O.

whose absence risks bankrupting the firm? I do not understand this question, who could explain to me that what does mean by "absence risks bankrupting the firm". thank you!!

(c) Name two more insurance products that X is likely to buy – give priority to the more important – and explain why.

Business interruption cover
    Commercial & industrial buildings
    Those 2 are what I thought, any others you could think as priority to these two above? Ta..

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2012
  2. Katherine Young

Katherine Young ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Hanshua,

Professional indemnity insurance is often a regulatory requirement, or may be required by the professional body. (See Chapter 3 page 18.) In some countries, public liability is also compulsory.

With regards to the difference between D&O and E&O, see Chapter 3 page 8, which states:

"There are several types of professional indemnity insurance sold, including Directors’ and Officers’ liability (D&O) and Errors and Omissions cover (E&O).
    The fundamental cover is the same – the difference is due to the parties that buy the cover. E&O is typically sold to professional services firms, whereas professional indemnity cover is wider-reaching.

Furthermore, E&O is primarily concerned with performance failures and negligence with respect to products and services, whereas D&O is concerned with the performance and duties of management."

With regards to (c), I think you got the main ones. Remember the question only asks for two products, so you won't get marks for giving any more.

Kind regards,

Katherine.