Institute/Faculty in Recession

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Busy_Bee4422, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Busy_Bee4422

Busy_Bee4422 Ton up Member

I was just wondering how the institute/faculty have fared in the recession. Have they downsized their staff etc? Anyone have an idea?

2. Day Dreamer

Day Dreamer Member

Strange posting. What did you expect them to do? Did you expect them to get rid of some their staff so that they can be seen as doing something about the recession? What if their staffing levels are optimal or they are actually struggling to fill-up some positions? If you were working at the Faculty/Institute you probably wouldn't want to hear anyone asking that sort of question. I hope you have it in your heart to feel for fellow workers losing their jobs in these difficult times!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. anon2

anon2 Member

Keep your knickers on!

zivinaik only asked what they had done... and in answer to that, I have not seen any effects.

4. Busy_Bee4422

There is a post on the quality of service from the institute/faculty and it got me thinking how the staff turnover has been. There just seem to be many small mistakes around and most of the time I see this at work it's normally coz we have a lot of new people at the same time. Hence my question.

Actually I was wondering if they are just going through a learning curve and maybe we should cut them some slack.

Incidentally Daydreamer I am sorry if I touched a raw nerve.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  5. capitalH

capitalH Member

Why would the recession have an impact? I am not sure exactly how their income works, but I assume it comes from annual membership fees and exam fees.

Have they:

1. Lost members (reduced income)?
    2. Have less students written exams?

2 - No,
    1 - No numbers to back it up, but not that I am aware of.

So if their income is virtually unchanged, and the expenses is more or less the same, why would they need to lay of staff?

6. Busy_Bee4422

CapitalH your points are valid. They benefit from hindsight though. So I still wonder what the IoA/FoA did coz of the recession?