Impact of reinsurance on required capital

Discussion in 'SA2' started by Edward chong, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Edward chong

Edward chong Member

Hi,

1. I would like to ask that, for a reinsurance treaty that transfers genuine insurance risk (such as mortality risk, longevity risk and so on), whether the following items are computed net or gross of reinsurance in Solvency II balance sheet:
    • Best estimate liabilities (BEL)
    • Risk margin (RM)
    • Solvency capital requirement (SCR)
    • Minimum capital requirement (MCR)?
    2. How is the computation of SCR for counterparty credit risk different if the cedant & reinsurer are subsidiaries of an insurance group?

Thank you.

2. ActuaryLad

ActuaryLad Active Member

In short, BEL is presented as gross, and the others net. More details on each point below...
    BEL is shown without reinsurance on liability side of SII balance sheet. The reinsurance asset is shown separately on the asset side of SII balance sheet.
    The risk margin is cost of holding a notional SCR. The notional SCR takes account of existing reinsurance arrangements. More on this after the next bullet-point.
    The SCR takes account of reinsurance arrangement in two ways. It will be assessed in counterparty default risk module. Furthermore, the change in the value of the reinsurance asset is allowed for when calculating the impact of various risks on basic on funds (e.g. mortality shock).
    The starting point of MCR calculation is a linear formula based on technical provisions. The technical provisions exclude risk margin, but include the benefit of reinsurance. The MCR is then subject to upper and lower bounds based on SCR (discussed above) and an absolute floor.
    Sorry - I don't know the answer to this one off the top of my head!

3. Edward chong

Edward chong Member

Dear ActuaryLad,

Thanks for your reply.

For my last question, maybe we should wait patiently for Acted tutors to reply.

4. Lynn Birchall

Lynn Birchall ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi

The fact that the Core Reading doesn't address this question should reassure us that the details are beyond what we're required to know. My (limited!) understanding is that having reinsurance with reinsurers who are part of the same group results in not being able to take credit for diversification between them in the counterparty risk module.

Best wishes
    Lynn