Impact of 'Earned investment returns on assets' on NAV

Discussion in 'SA2' started by Bharti Singla, Sep 20, 2023.

1. Bharti Singla

Bharti Singla Senior Member

IAI Sept 2016 Q1 (ii)
    ii) Describe the key risk factors that would affect the change in net asset value over a one year period; and how would the impact of each of these factors vary between net asset value measured on the basis of statutory and realistic balance sheets respectively.

Ans.
    Earned investment returns on assets
    Whilst considering the impact of this, the investment returns earned on assets need to be measured on a basis that is consistent with the methodology used for the valuation of assets. Thus, in the case of the statutory valuation, the investment return earned would be a combination of book yield (arising on fixed interest securities) and market returns (arising on listed equities), whereas in the case of the realistic valuation, this would be fully based on market returns (i.e. reflecting any unrealised gains/losses).
    Thus the impact on the respective NAV positions would be related to the volatility of the investment returns – whereby the statutory NAV may be relatively less volatile than the realistic NAV, particularly in case of movements in bond markets.
    A higher than expected actual return would lead to strengthening of both statutory and realistic NAVs.

I did not get why statutory NAV may be relatively less volatile than the realistic NAV??

2. Em Francis

Em Francis ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi
    I cannot see this question, are you sure it is from Sept 2016?
    The reason is due to the realistic valuation taking market value including unrealised gains/losses, the change in these unrealised gains and losses will create volatility in the valuation. Think of it as the statutory valuation is taking a more passive valuation approach, whereas the realistic is taking a more active valuation approach.
    Thanks
    Em

Bharti Singla likes this.
  3. Bharti Singla

Bharti Singla Senior Member

This is a question from IAI paper. Thanks for explaining!