Identifying the correct calculation for option premium questions

Discussion in 'SP2' started by bryce, Sep 20, 2014.

1. bryce

bryce Member

Hello

I'm having diffculty identifying from the question which calculation method to use (not Conventional verus North Amercian but the actual calculations) to solve the additional option premium questions.

For example, in the revision booklet 4 Q9 (April 2005 Q3) and Q29 ii) (April 2010 Q6) are basically the same question with different figures used. However, Q9 uses the full calculation method where it finds the basic premium and option premium and total EPV benefits, and equating to get the additional premium, but Q29 ii) after deriving the proportino taking up the option, they only do a simple (EPV option benefit EPV Premiums) and discount back to find the additional premium.

I'm not able to see whats different in the question wording that directs you to use one method or the other. Some help please?

2. Lynn Birchall

Lynn Birchall ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi bryce

Good question. :)

As a general principle, using the full calculation method will work, and would be the method I would always use if I was in any doubt at all.

Sometimes, it turns out that certain terms within the full calculation method cancel out, so what is left is just the EPV of the option benefits/premiums. This happens if the average mortality post-exercise is ultimate.

For this reason, you often see that conventional method answers will just include the option parts. It would though be equally correct to use the full calculation method, and this should give the same answer.

Q29(ii) is also one of these certain cases where terms cancel, and so the shortcut of using just the option parts works.

Hope this helps clarify.
    Best wishes
    Lynn