IAI Sept 2017 Q5--

Discussion in 'CT6' started by Aditya T., Sep 17, 2017.

1. Aditya T.

Aditya T. Member

Help needed on the 1st part of the question. The linear functions appear to be too tricky and also the estimation of number of parameters. Thanks! Screen Shot 2017-09-17 at 8.51.15 AM.png

2. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

For a variable (ie numerical data that you put in the formula) you do a linear function of it - so it will have 2 parameters
    Hence VS which is a variable x would have a formula a +bx with 2 parameters (a and b)

For a factor you assign a parameter to each category.
    Hence type of sea would be \(S_i\) with 12 parameters (\(S_1 , S_2, ....., S_{12}\).

3. Aditya T.

Aditya T. Member

Thanks for your reply, John. But could you explain the number of parameters and the linear predictor for the second, second last and last one?

4. John Lee

AA is a variable, so log(AA) we do a linear function of it: \(a+blog(AA)\). Same with \(AA^2\). But recall that when you add covariates you always lose a constant parameter (as two will combine). This gives: \(a+blog(AA)+cAA^2\). You can see there are 3 parameters.

There is a mistake in the second last. It should read: AA + AS + AA.AS
    This is equivalent to AA*AS.
    Recall that when we do interactive covariates we multiply the formulae together: \(a+blog(AA) * A_i = a_i + b_ilog(AA)\)
    Since i here goes from 1 to 15 - there will be 30 parameters.

You should be able to do the last one now.

Aditya T. likes this.
  5. Aditya T.

Aditya T. Member

Also, could you let me know how to estimate the residual degrees of freedom? Thanks, A.

6. John Lee

For every parameter added, you subtract a degree of freedom.